Wireless adapter problems (cosmos)

schwaBAM

I have the wireless setup for my original vive and i noticed that it showed you can use it with the cosmos, however, it does not detect my headset and constantly gives me a 201 error.

Any suggestions or tips on how to resolve this?  I cannot find anything on this topic.

Edited by schwaBAM
  • Like 1

Hey @schwaBAM,

Thanks for reaching out 🙂. Great question and here's your answer from our blog post about this topic.

For existing wireless owners, a new Cosmos Compatibility Pack will also ship in late October. The pack will ship with a new 21W power bank, the connection cable for Cosmos, and a new pad to attach to the headstrap.

Cosmos-Headset-5-1024x576.png

Due to the new inside-out tracking on Cosmos and other features, the headset draws slightly more power than the current Vive Wireless Adapter battery can support, so this battery is needed to power this headset wirelessly. In addition, Vive Cosmos processes all the camera tracking data solely in the headset and never sends the visual tracking data to the PC. While this means we are securing user privacy in their play space, this approach results in a higher headset power consumption.

The compatibility pack will retail for US $49.99 or regional equivalent. Overtime, we’ll simplify the wireless adapter assortment so only the new battery is shipped to Vive Wireless Adapter customers.

Ah, good to know.  Thank you!

Are there any 3rd party portable chargers that I can buy til they release theirs?  Any suggestions?  I tried looking for "21w" portable chargers but I couldn't find any that tell the specific wattage.  I tried using an online calculator to figure it out based on voltage and amps but am not 100% sure i calculated it right. Ha.

Edited by schwaBAM

@schwaBAM

Ah unfortunately,  I can't recommend any 3rd party portable chargers. 😞 

Also I noticed that you said your adapter was with an OG Vive. If that's the case, you still need a specific short cable that attaches from the HMD to the Adapter. The cables that you have with the wireless adapter only works with the OG Vive (they have different inputs). 

I am able to get it working using an Omnicharge Ultimate. Beta drivers must be installed to get wireless working. An anker 20000 mAh.\ using the vive pro adapter kit. I have had limited success with the anker 20000mAh powerbank it cuts out randomly when the power requirements get too high. For now I game with the Omnicharge in a backpack to the large size.

Edited by themax
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

been looking for battery packs this morning, most are 5v and 3 amp or 4 max so fall under 20w. ive had more luck looking at laptop power banks and ones that will charge a ipad pro (needs 26w )....i cant recommend any cause havent tried but make sure the qc3 is on the right usb cable with the extra wattage... ill be looking into it more over next few days as my cosmos has arrived and ill be getting the wireless in a few days so ill update if i have any luck 🙂

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cughin said:

been looking for battery packs this morning, most are 5v and 3 amp or 4 max so fall under 20w. ive had more luck looking at laptop power banks and ones that will charge a ipad pro (needs 26w )....i cant recommend any cause havent tried but make sure the qc3 is on the right usb cable with the extra wattage... ill be looking into it more over next few days as my cosmos has arrived and ill be getting the wireless in a few days so ill update if i have any luck 🙂

I am going out of town for a few days so I will look forward to your review.  I thought I read that Vive plans to release a new powerbank this month.. but I haven't read anything lately.

Thanks for the replies.

I just bought the pro cable for $120 @Vanradil I already bought a bigger battery a while back. Hope it has the extra oomph needed. The thing that irks me is almost guaranteed you'll be looking at AUD$200+ as the pro cable alone is $120. Especially if it's a larger capacity battery. I am worried that by the time the Cosmos is dependable in the way my Vive is...it will have cost Upwards of $2000. That's with already owning the $470 wireless kit. I thought it would be a replacement with  few foibles - but I either mothball it until I buy the required upgrades or just cut my losses get a refund and start burning incense to the VR gods to get the valve index here.

• 3 weeks later...