Disable headset sleep/standby

MagNet

If it’s like what I am experiencing then the reason it goes black for 2-5 seconds is because you move the headset and wake it up. It takes that long to display video again. Next time it happens try keeping the headset still. I’ll bet it stays dark. The icon in steam vr will say the hmd is in standby.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This just started happening to me too when I tried to move my Vive to a new PC and a fresh build (Win 10 x64 Ent).  This seems to also be effecting my ability to install the Vive and SteamVR software as SteamVR can't seem to sync my controller or lighthouses at the same time.  It keeps syaing 'the headset must be plugged in before pairing any controllers'.  The headset constantly going to sleep never happened to me before, neither has not being able to install the software to use my Vive.

I only just got my Vive in the last couple of days, so I can't comment on what might have changed since it was like this from the begininning; but I can attest to having this same issue with other programs. I like to use MultiVR.se to watch youtube lying down, and going more than a handful of seconds without moving my head results in the headset going to sleep every time.

I'm also having the same issue. It initially showed up in Elite Dangerous (I suspect because I play it almost every night in VR for hours at a time), and now after trying to watch a movie in BigScreen Beta it kept timing out if I wasn't constantly moving my head. Been trying to adjust settings in SteamVR but to no avail. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm starting to suspect a software issue.

Hi John.

I can confirm that the blackouts occur in all VR applications, even SteamVR Home. As for the nVidia drivers I haven't updated mine for a while, the problem seems to have started with a recent SteamVR client update.

In the developer section of SteamVR the "Pause rendering when idle" (I may be paraphrasing here I can't remember the exact wording) is disabled, and the corresponding line in the steamvr.settings file is also marked as "false", but the feature seems to be enabled regardless of this.

Okay, figured it out.

The idle timeout defaults to 5 seconds now.

If you go to settings in your Steam VR overlay (wearing the HMD), then power management, you'll see that the idle timeout is just 5 seconds. You can change it to up to 10 minutes.

Archived