VIVE Business Streaming Software 1.04.2– Beta Release Notes
Released September 30th 2021

VBS Console – 1.04.2

[Console]

• Provided ways to report issue if server crashed with unknown error

[Server]

• Fixed an issue on some AMD Laptops
  • Fixed an issue where server will pop out license invalid on some PCs

VBS Client - 1.0.7.10 (update through Vive Business App Store)

• Fixed issues where recording could cause streaming failure on Focus 3.

Would it be possible for you guys to pay someone like Guy Godin to assist with this application? I know it's probably not normal, but his virtual desktop is pretty amazing - I use it with my Quest 2. I almost never use my Focus 3, the clarity just isn't there when streaming. I'm sure you guys are under resourced and I think the streaming runs great as it is, but it seems like we'll be forever stuck with a blurry washed out image when streaming. I'm thinking I made a mistake buying the Focus 3, even though it's a great headset, for streaming, the image quality just isn't there.

I don't mean to be critical, it's just that it seems like HTC are selling this headset way short of it's potential. I understand that it is targeted at businesses and I probably shouldn't have bought it thinking that the streaming quality would get better quickly; I guess I just thought it would be more of a priority.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, vrwanter said:

I almost never use my Focus 3, the clarity just isn't there when streaming. I'm sure you guys are under resourced and I think the streaming runs great as it is, but it seems like we'll be forever stuck with a blurry washed out image when streaming. I'm thinking I made a mistake buying the Focus 3, even though it's a great headset, for streaming, the image quality just isn't there.

I am so confused by this! Admittedly, I don't have a Quest 2 to compare, but your experience regarding clarity completely differs from mine. With VBS set to quality and 100 mbps, the picture looks great. The only thing holding it back is the inherent limitation of Wifi streaming, so motion clarity isn't as good as a wired connection -- static image quality is at least as good as my Index. If your Quest 2 looks as good as my Focus 3, I would be astonished.

I would almost think you might be experiencing some issues with your network, although that would affect your Quest 2 experience negatively as well.

Edited by thedrone

For some games the blurriness doesn't affect the experience much, but others, it is really disappointing. On the extreme side of things where sharpness really matters, streaming a virtual desktop, in the Focus, the text is blurry and basically unusable, whereas in the Quest 2, the text is quite easy to read. The difference in streaming a movie with a VR app like VD, or watching a desktop only stream in Immersed is also quite extreme in my experience; Immersed stream looks amazing even with movies (because it's streaming the desktop only with its own algorithm), but a VD (using HTC business streaming) stream of the same desktop/movie looks terrible.

I've had some feedback from HTC regarding the bitrate and res increases, but they're basically saying it could be a long time away because other improvements need to happen before the increase can happen. I (literally) don't understand why we can't just have a little bit extra of both even just in beta so we can see how performance is ourselves, but taking HTC at their word that this can't happen means that (for me) the clarity of the Q2 wins basically every time.

I will say, other than the clarity issues, the actual streaming is great, everything is nice and smooth and controllers track well. I really like the headset even with its lense flaws and native apps look really good, so I'm not bashing the headset itself, it would just be amazing if we could up the quality for VR streaming.