Cannot connect to Direct Preview

Alex Jones

I'm using UE4 using a patched version of the SDK (see my previous post), but what I did may be helpful here. In running adb shell cat /sdcard/DirectPreview/config.json, I noticed that the ip it spat out in the json file wasn't at all the IP of my computer, and reinstalling the APK didn't fix it. I manually edited the ip to my PC's LAN correct ip (using a plugin in VSCode) and now everything works from basic testing. I think this might have been because I have a bunch of different (virtual) network adapters on my PC.

Edited by aiddun

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2022 at 12:55 PM, aiddun said:

I'm using UE4 using a patched version of the SDK (see my previous post), but what I did may be helpful here. In running adb shell cat /sdcard/DirectPreview/config.json, I noticed that the ip it spat out in the json file wasn't at all the IP of my computer, and reinstalling the APK didn't fix it. I manually edited the ip to my PC's LAN correct ip (using a plugin in VSCode) and now everything works from basic testing. I think this might have been because I have a bunch of different (virtual) network adapters on my PC.

Hi, aiddun.

When I also ran adb shell cat /sdcard/DirectPreview/config.json, the IP was different from the PC.
How did you change the IP in config.json?
I also use VScode.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 3:39 PM, Alex Jones said:

Hello, I am working in Unity 2020.3.11f1 using WaveXR SDK 4.1.1 to develop and app for the Vive Focus 3

I am having trouble setting up the Direct Preview feature, I have a working build of my application on the headset but no great way to debug it. I have followed the guide here, https://hub.vive.com/storage/docs/en-us/UnityXR/UnityXRDirectPreview.html, with but after I start the device APK I will just end up with a connection time out every time.

image.png.da630c7ed0ac9726b29a8d1916d83798.png

I am using this to get the device IP, I have also made a script in unity using Dns.GetHostEntry(Dns.GetHostName()).AddressList to print the IP of the device in the headset, this returned 192.168.1.145

image.thumb.png.1688be71b06403fa58171bb15f131c11.png

These are the settings for Direct Preview in the editor

image.thumb.png.8de054f6283a2fe59c3fa73d68fb17fc.png

And this is the output when starting the server, it does not change when I launch the device APK

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello there,

Exact same problem happening here, and I could not find a way to use VBS in order to use the Play mode in Unity.

Is there any news ?

• 1 month later...

Hi @Dario and @Alex_HTC,

DirectPreview does not work.

Neither in USB nor WiFi mode. The connection just times out. What is your setup to make this work ?

Also, care to explain how to use VBS ? Because it only shows the basic SteamVR layout in the headset, but does nothing when Unity enters Play Mode.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...