HTC Vive Pro 2 cameras - "camera communication failed"

How do I get my cameras working again? I'm opted into SteamVR beta and Vive Console beta. The error I get is "camera communication failed" in SteamVR.

I can use a 3rd party software like Yawcam and the cameras are working just fine in that. That proves it's not a hardware issue.

SteamVR start test with the camera produces this error.

I had this when I 1st had the VIve Pro 2 on release, but that was because it hadn't been implemented and I had to sign into SteamVR BETA.

This Vive Pro 2 was working before with the pass-through cameras, but it has been RMA'd twice.

Thank you.

This generally related to USB driver, you may want to use reset steamVR USB Device from steamVR settings to see if it recovers 

From your host computer, go to SteamVR > Settings > Developer. Make sure the Developer Settings checkbox is checked, Link

30 minutes ago, C.T. said:

This generally related to USB driver, you may want to use reset steamVR USB Device from steamVR settings to see if it recovers 

From your host computer, go to SteamVR > Settings > Developer. Make sure the Developer Settings checkbox is checked, Link

I did that. I also tested this headset on my Wife's PC, it has never had VR installed before. It was a fresh install, same issue on there. The passthrough camera doesn't work on her PC either in SteamVR.

yRcxOyI.png

HByLCfS.png

QehQ5zq.png

CMkxESy.png

The cameras work just fine when using 3rd party software...

1R38uYD.png

Edited by AmazingTechVR

@C.T. anymore ideas about the cameras not working in SteamVR? They worked before the RMA. As you can see above, the drivers must be working as 3rd party software can use them. I get this on 2 different PC's. My Wife's PC never had VR installed before, so it's a clean/fresh install of SteamVR, Vive Console and the USB drivers.

1 hour ago, AmazingTechVR said:

@C.T. anymore ideas about the cameras not working in SteamVR? They worked before the RMA. As you can see above, the drivers must be working as 3rd party software can use them. I get this on 2 different PC's. My Wife's PC never had VR installed before, so it's a clean/fresh install of SteamVR, Vive Console and the USB drivers.

did you have good tracking coverage while doing the Camera TEst?

28 minutes ago, C.T. said:

did you have good tracking coverage while doing the Camera TEst?

Yes perfect tracking. Never had issues with tracking on the OG Vive or the Vive Pro 2.

I have 4 basestations. 2 in my room, 2 in another room. Same issue on 2 PC's and 2 different sets of basestations.

The camera communication happens on both PCs, as stated, the other PC never used VR on it before. I only did it to test the black screens I'm getting. Then I tested the camera on both PC's, same error.

4 hours ago, C.T. said:

Just double check that camera test will fail when HMD is in standby mode. Have you tried to make it in the valid tracking status then click the test? 

How do you mean with "standby mode" and "valid tracking status"?

I turn on the link box, Vive Console opens up and SteamVR auto opens up.

I put on the HMD. The room view option at the bottom of SteamVR is greyed out and the Start Test option in Settings > Camera > this fails to communicate.

It is doing this on 2 different PCs with and without BETA. With 2 sets of basestations. Before the RMA, the camera worked without an issue.

SteamVR - Eye icon at the bottom right which is greyed out, indicating that room view is not available.

image.png.e67ea07dc3a5a7415ace9d62b419cc42.png

1 hour ago, AmazingTechVR said:

I put on the HMD. The room view option at the bottom of SteamVR is greyed out and the Start Test option in Settings > Camera > this fails to communicate.

It is doing this on 2 different PCs with and without BETA. With 2 sets of basestations. Before the RMA, the camera worked without an issue.

SteamVR - Eye icon at the bottom right which is greyed out, indicating that room view is not available.

got it, will get back to you soon. 

On 10/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, AmazingTechVR said:

I'm 100% convinced your camera is broken from the repair.

When they repaired mine 2 weeks ago, they ditched/broke the tracking sensors of the HMD after repair, I tested everything and I have 2 computers and a vive for cross testing... At least my failure is more obvious but yeah I had to return the headset a 3rd time(actually yesterday), I can objectively say that the repair team at CTDI for HTC has issues doing their jobs properly, it's not an insult by any means just a clear and straight fact, not even an opinion just look at your own case. They don't seem to do any tests at all or they are really slovenly doing it, it's not serious and really disrespectful at this point.

They don't encounter the possibility of someone from far away having to return the headset and the money for shipping it costs for that, at least, please tell the repair to do some effort and deeply test every features of the headset, I can understand that they skipped the camera test, but the tracking test ? How can you even miss this ?

@C.T. I would like help from you too, but seems like when someone is exposing the truth he's just going to be ignored.

Happy that the team is helping you bud, I asked for my retailer to replace it with another brand new one HTC would now deal with my retailer, I'm tired and all of this should have never happened.

Have a good day.

H.M (RE)