VR for Impact FAQ

Rockjaw

When was the deadline for VR for Impact applications? Can I still submit?

We closed applications for VR for Impact on February 28, 2017. We are not accepting further applications at this time.

What happens now?

Right now, we’re evaluating every idea and proposal submitted to us based on the text in the application form.

After our initial evaluation, we’ll be consulting with charities and non-profits in various fields, all related to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, to help determine our final choices. We will then reach out directly to our final applicants for further information. We will announce our initial projects publicly on Earth Day, April 22, 2017.

I submitted an application. Can I submit more information later?

Initial submissions will be filtered based on the descriptive text submitted, to ensure that all ideas get the same treatment. After this initial filtering, we will reach out to chosen applicants and ask for additional information about their submission.

Will you be in touch before final announcements?

Yes, but only to those applicants whose submissions are being selected to move forward.

How many projects are you looking to fund?

We don’t have a fixed number in mind. It will depend on the applications received.

Do you intend to fund the whole, or only part of a project that’s selected?

This will vary case by case, depending on the project.

If my project gets selected, am I obliged to proceed with the project?

No, you are not. If you are selected as a finalist, until any funding agreement may be in place, your project will not be announced formally. You can choose to drop out at this point for any reason.

Will my project be publicly announced if it is selected?

Yes, unless a previous agreement has been reached to remain private.

By submitting a project, do we have any legal obligations?

You do not. Submission is not a formal agreement between yourselves and HTC.

If my project is selected, is there a legal obligation then?

Not upon selection. You can, if you choose, drop out of consideration at that point. If a funding agreement is made, then there will be a legal agreement involved, which will be agreed upon by yourselves and HTC.

I submitted a joint application. What happens if one of our group drops out, and we are selected?

We will re-review your application based on your new situation. Again, you are under no obligation unless a final funding agreement has been decided upon.

If we create a prototype for our submission, who owns that if we are selected?

Any code or other assets created by you remain your property. If other terms are negotiated during the final funding agreement, they would apply.

Will there be any press release naming initial applicants?

No. If a submission is chosen for final funding, a press release may be issued naming the applicants, as long as all involved agree.

Any other questions?

Feel free to ask them below, or send a PM to .

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rockjaw,

How are things progressing with the review of the applications for VR For Impact?

Have you/HTC contacted all of the people whose application will potentially be funded? Or are you still planning to reach out to more folks?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'd also like to know the status of the Vive for Impact program? Given that it is now nearly the 22 April (date of announcement) can we assume that all companies who have not heard anything since the date they submitted application have not been sucessful?

Thanks.

"Initial submissions will be filtered based on the descriptive text submitted, to ensure that all ideas get the same treatment. After this initial filtering, we will reach out to chosen applicants and ask for additional information about their submission."

From the way you describe how the initial submission process works, that also seems to eliminate or place less emphasis on proposals that lack certain keywords, much in the same way that college and/or job applications contain filtering programs today.  

I also just received the email announcing the names of the projects that are receiving initial grants.  In the email, it said:

"[...] there will be additional funding and potentially even more chances to submit new applications."

My questions are: how do the proposals get past the filters?  What are the common aspects shared among the three proposals for the first wave of grant recipients that made them stand out from the crowd?  Having some knowledge as to why a proposal could be rejected or why one excels would be extremely helpful information in planning out how long it will take to prepare materials for it. 

wrote:

"Initial submissions will be filtered based on the descriptive text submitted, to ensure that all ideas get the same treatment. After this initial filtering, we will reach out to chosen applicants and ask for additional information about their submission."

From the way you describe how the initial submission process works, that also seems to eliminate or place less emphasis on proposals that lack certain keywords, much in the same way that college and/or job applications contain filtering programs today.  

I also just received the email announcing the names of the projects that are receiving initial grants.  In the email, it said:

"[...] there will be additional funding and potentially even more chances to submit new applications."

My questions are: how do the proposals get past the filters?  What are the common aspects shared among the three proposals for the first wave of grant recipients that made them stand out from the crowd?  Having some knowledge as to why a proposal could be rejected or why one excels would be extremely helpful information in planning out how long it will take to prepare materials for it. 

Hey everyone! By now of course, you know we've announced our first three grant recipients for VR for Impact - but that's not the end for the program.

To answer your questions specifically, , we don't use any sort of automated programs to filter applications. Every application was examined by our team. Sorry if the wording here made you think otherwise.

As I've mentioned a few times, I personally didn't examine applications or have any influence on the process. With Earth Day tomorrow, I believe in part, we chose these projects because they're environmentally / Earth-themed.

The next update will be sometime in May, although I don't have an exact ETA on when; however as we've stated there will be more projects chosen. This is a multi-year commitment for Vive.

• 3 months later...

Hi  would be great to get an update on the Vive for Impact program.

Last post you mentioned another possible intake in May -  but since that time (2mths) we havent received any communication.

I know you said you also arent personally involved in the process but iperhaps you can get a statement of the person or dept responsible? Or perhaps email all applicants with a 'Whats next' update?

Its very frustrating to have submitted what you think is an awesome application and to put time and effort into it and then not to hear anything back. Look forward to hearing detailed outline of next steps. Thanks.

Archived