Headset not Tracking

Christoferous

Vive headset shows 'not tracking' and goes to sleep within a minute when connected to the HDMI port on the GTX 1070 video card, but when connected to a GTX 970 on a separate computer, it fires right up and works normally. Headset that runs on the GTX 970 computer does not work on the GTX 1070 computer either. Yes, we have two Vive setups. To paraphrase from H.R. Hadden from the movie "Contact": "Why have only one when you can have two at twice the price?"

The computer that the GTX 1070 is installed to used to have the GTX 970 installed to it, and it worked just fine with the Vive. The Vive worked with the GTX 1070 until a week ago (worked for 3 months) then it suddenly stays on the gray screen in the headset while SteamVR shows that the Headset is not Tracking.

Troubleshooting steps already taken:

• Updated NVidia GeForece Drivers.
  • Moved Basestations closer (was working at 18.5 feet apart, now doesn't work at less than 15 feet apart).
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled all Vive software.
  • Camera is OFF.
  • Rebooted Headset (many many times).
  • Cursed.
  • Prayed.
  • Moved USB cable from 3.0 port to 2.0 port.

I have noticed that when the Headset goes to sleep (dull green light) no matter how much I move it, it will not wake up until I reboot it.

Unless someone can offer insight or guidance (or even some WAT's) this weekend we will try and reinstall the video card.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there .  I'm sorry that you're running into issues with your headset not tracking.  To begin the troubleshooting process, can you tell us if you are using the GPU's HDMI port for the Vive?  If so, have you tried using a different HDMI cable?  If you are not using the HDMI Port on the HMD, please do so and make sure you're not using an adapter / splitter or accessory.  Looking forward to your response.  Thank you!

The HDMI cable coming from the breakout box goes into a VR HDMI port on the GPU which is a Strix GTX 1070. We have tried the GPU's other HDMI port as well, but it didn't make a difference. The headset, cables, and breakout box all work when connected to the GPU on a separate system, and they all worked with the 1070 up until last week. This was all stated in my post, so I'm wondering if you read it or if you're giving a pre-set response to anyone with this problem.

Hi.  Thank you for the information.  The issue that you’re running into might be related to the SteamVR software, your power management settings in Windows or in the Nvidia control panel, even the graphics card or it’s drivers.   Based on what you described regarding using the Vive on another computer, it does not sound like the Vive hardware is the problem.  

Some things you can try:

• Disable power management of Vive USB Devices in Windows
  • Set power management mode to ‘Prefer Maximum Performance’ in the Nvidia control panel
  • Perform a clean reinstall of the GPU drivers
  • Trying previous GPU driver versions
  • Reinstalling SteamVR, or trying the SteamVR beta
  • Make sure you are not using any 3rd party cables to connect the Vive to the GPU

It may be worth reaching out to Nvidia for further troubleshooting. 

I have noticed that when the Headset goes to sleep (dull green light) no matter how much I move it, it will not wake up until I reboot it.

Unless someone can offer insight or guidance (or even some WAT's) this weekend we will try and reinstall the video card.

Please try opting into the SteamVR beta: https://www.vive.com/us/support/category_howto/839451.html

The Mar. 23 beta update included a fix for Vive HMD going into standby mode while in use.

Installed the Beta and the HMD going to sleep is not so much of an issue anymore. The HMD is still not tracking even though the controllers and basestations do. Uninstalled and re-installed the GTX 1070 and drivers, but did not have any effect on the problem. We are going to swap the basestations with the other setup because we have tried everything else we can think of except for that, but I'm doubtful that it will change anything. I created another Ssytem Report file, but I can't find a way to attach it here.

PM me on here and I'll give you an address to send the system log to.

Additionaly, try this: 

Use SteamVR to remove the Vive USB drivers and reinstall them. To do this, disconnect the Link Box from the PC (I recommend disconnecting both the USB and video output cable from the PC side). Next, launch SteamVR and go to Settings. From Settings navigate to the Developer tab on the left and click the box that says 'Remove All SteamVR USB Devices'. Next, restart your PC, connect the Link Box to the PC once the restart is complete and wait for the PC to perform the initial USB device setup (should see an icon in the bottom right but if you don't see an icon, wait 3-5 minutes before continuing). Once the initial driver installation is complete, launch SteamVR and try using the controllers wirelessly. You may need to pair the controllers to the HMD again.

• 8 months later...

Hello, i received the HTCvive last week brand new from vive.com. I installed everything and everything worked fine since. i have played with it yesterday PM and it worked fine. yesterday night i downloaded fallout 4 vr on steam. this morning turned off my pc, came back few hours after start steam vr, and evreything goes green but seconds after the headset star blinking and come grey. with the error message : (sorry for my basic english)

Archived