Headset not Tracking

Christoferous

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

, the green LED indicator doesn't always indicate whether the rotors are engaged; the definitive way to tell is to check to see if you can see the faint RED dots generated from the IR LED array within the basestation. If those are not on, this is likely a BT power management issue, you can reengage the rotor by flipping channels or sometimes by powercycling the basestation. SteamVR's power management can be pretty hit and miss, especially if you use multiple HMD's with one pair of stations. 

, the green LED indicator doesn't always indicate whether the rotors are engaged; the definitive way to tell is to check to see if you can see the faint RED dots generated from the IR LED array within the basestation. If those are not on, this is likely a BT power management issue, you can reengage the rotor by flipping channels or sometimes by powercycling the basestation. SteamVR's power management can be pretty hit and miss, especially if you use multiple HMD's with one pair of stations. 

The "LED array" is 9 red dots? Yes, there're on both basestations. And I already tried to flip channels, to use "c"-channel instead of "a"-channel (and remove the sync cable) and to powercycle the basestations. Didn't help.

We have only one headset in the room.

I've just tried to use the cable from the helmet as a HDMI cable from Raspberry Pi to a monitor and it didn't work. Seems the cable is dead... despite the fact that I don't see any mechanical damage on the cable.

I have a similar issue. After a while that i'm using the Vive the 2 base stations just turn off while i play (the green dot is there, but I don't see anymore the "purple" IR dots of the tracking and i have the impression they stop "rotating" )  and I completely lose tracking plus the display becomes gray; sometimes this happens after 1-2 minutes, sometimes it works fine for a longer time. In fact, a couple of weeks ago i thought i had solved the issue but i was wrong... Sometimes it is fine for some hours, sometimes more, sometime less. 

Tonight around 18h it could not work properly more than 2-3 minutes. Later on I remove from the room a plate that could have been a reflective surface and it started working fine. After a good hour of play i wanted to check if the plate was really the cause and indeed as soon as it was visible from the tracking stations the problem comes back; then, first i cover the plate completly then i take it out of the room again, but the issue remains. So, was it its fault? I do not know... In the meanwhile the sun is no longer directly hitting the window of my room, but i'd like to exclude there's a relation since when it was working i had sun directly coming in.  (starting to be paranoid and thinking about anything.... )

I read about possible heat issues. I do not think it's the case, since i tried to point a fan at me and the problem remained. On the contrary when it worked the temperature in the room was a bit higher than it is now (22-24°C, anyway, if it does not work in this range... wtf!), and now the issue is there.  

I tried all the solutions i could find on this forum and on the internet but nothing really seems to solve completly the problem: 

- base stations are perfectly aligned

- using usb2.0

- camera is disabled and there's no other camera

- power base station management i tried checking and un-checking it. nothing changed. 

- I tried flipping the base station letter (b <-> c)

- I tried using the cable to connect the base stations

- I tried removing my watch since i considered it reflective.... 

- all sort of power management thing i'm aware are disabled ( in windows, in steamVR )

Any advice? idea?

Thank you

BR

• 2 months later...

For us it was a voltage thingy. We have moved to a new office where i guess there are some faulty wiring or something. When i turn on the fan near the outlet where the second base station is plugged in, the grey screen and jitteryness starts immediately. As soon as i turn off the fan the base station starts tracking again.

Bottom line in this particular case the base station was not getting proper voltage. because while the problem was there i tried to setup the room once again and i could see the green illustration of the headset (while outlining the room scale area) just shooting off in one direction. which indicates that only one base station was tracking and the other wasnt able to.

hope this helps somebody.

Archived