2 htc vive in same place

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sorry I have no advice or recommendations to give you, but I’m hoping you can give some to me.

I’m in the beginning process of working out an installation for 24 Vive HTC seated setups in a classroom. This sounds possible, based on what I’ve researched to date, maybe even more possible when the lighthouse 2.0 tech/headsets/controllers become available.

I’m confident the headsets will have no issues as they read their position from the (dumb) lighthouses. However, I’m concerned about the connectivity of the controllers to the headsets. I know that Vive has a proprietary technology to allow the controllers to pair and communicate with the headset, but I’m wondering if that might be an issue in a classroom with 24 seated students within 5 to 6  feet of each other.

When setting up your arcade, did you have access to any technical documents from Vive or any white papers that assisted you in the process?

• 3 weeks later...

In short, no. You need a PC for each Vive. In theory if you had a very, very powerful PC you could have virtual machines running for multiple Vives running off the same physical hardware, but they would be using different virtual PCs and would not be a "local" multiplayer option.

Very, very few modern PC games have anything close to what we would call a "local" multiplayer. (Local multiplayer being generally defined as being a game running with multiplayers without the use of networking.)

Now, if you're asking if you can have two Vives running in the same physical room and have those Vive players in the same game. Sure thing. We do that all the time. It's no different than playing with someone half way across the planet.

Thanks,

-John C

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i am finding answer for my question, maybe someone here can help me, i will be really glad. My question is if it is possible to have 3 or 2 htc vive players in same place in same program like symmetry alpha or another cloud point program. The meaning of that thing is that we need to show model to our clients.

Thx a lot for all answers

Not off the top of my head. I'm not clear exactly on what you're trying to do, but there are collaborative VR space programs out there. Doghead simulations' "rumii" comes to mind.

Look into that and I think you'll find a lot of developers have had similar ideas for something like that.

Thanks,

-John C

Yes, it's possible but most applications will not support this kind of setup. Each user will require their own HMD/PC but they can share a single set of ligthhouses. You can calibrate the rooms similarly and if the networking and level design allow it, you can have people in a 1:1 shared space. It's typically easiest to build out the app for the users to be in seperate spaces. Take a look at Nvidia Holodeck

• 2 months later...

Ok now that I'm getting the htc vive pro and have the regular htc vive with the tpcast can I play with them both at the same time since one I can use the display port and the regular htc vive is a hdmi on the same GPU