VIVE Software 2.0.19.1 – Beta Release Notes

C.T.

I solved the base stations showing a yellow triangle issue. I uninstalled Steam VR and then I also deleted all the contents of the Steam/Config folder.

Now the base stations are reporting properly in Steam VR and sleep properly when exiting Vive Console/Steam VR.

Still troubleshooting this thing regarding the shaky stuttery mess the image is in once I launch a game. That is the big issue that renders this headset unusable for me.  Still trying, have not totally given up yet but getting close to it. I know there has to be a clue in the fact that on Wed. I did not have that at all, yesterday and today it is back with a vengeance. I disabled Defender real time scanning Wed. morning then it worked so well all day. But yesterday and today that little trick did nothing to help.

Edited by dburne

Ok just tried again by disabling Defender real time scanning - launched a game and it was all smooth. Way to early to say at this point, but maybe making progress. But it worked great all day Wed. and then back to same mess yesterday. Hoping deleting that config folder and letting it rebuild might help. 

Well all the issues came right back again today, both the shaking/stuttering of the image whilst in a game and the Lighthouse Base Station issue with the Vive Pro 2 came back a little later as well. Already tried removing everything and reinstalling a couple more times today.

I am done. Personally I don't think the HTC software is quite ready for Windows 11 yet. Going to have to set this expensive paperweight aside for a while, maybe I will get back and check it in a few weeks. Way too many issue with it right now and it is totally unusable for me. I have an Index that continues to work beautifully on this system as well as a Reverb G2 that does. My Vive Pro 2 is ok for looking around in Steam VR environment, but it darn sure is not going to work in any gaming for me.

What a waste.

Just got this response back from HTC support on the logs I sent in:

Hello Don, 

Thanks for reaching us back. This is Lucas, a pleasure to help you today.

I appreciate all the information and the time you took testing and sending the logs, from what I can see this issue seems to be related entirely to the update to Windows 11 as we cannot assure the Vive will work properly with this one, there are still glitches and incompatibilities we've had that haven't been fixed, so my recommendation will be to downgrade to Windows 10 if you can, otherwise, I'd recommend you waiting for an update that makes this entirely compatible. 

Take care and have a wonderful day.

Lucas
VIVE

So yeah I will set the headset aside for a while, will try again in a few weeks. No desire to go back to Windows 10 at this point. I got two other headsets that work fine.

I agree that HTC needs to fix this ASAP.  However, I also wouldn't touch Windows 11 with an 11 foot pole on my primary gaming machine until after all its teething issues are settled and all vendors have had the time to test thoroughly.  I installed Windows 11 right away on my laptop since I don't do serious gaming on it and its been fine; but there's nothing there that would make me want it on the big rig until my next major system upgrade when I can install it from scratch (maybe in a year or so) since taking the upgrade path seems to almost guarantee at least a couple percentage points lower performance than a native install and every FPS matters in VR.  

Yeah I can see your point. For me I always like to be on the cutting edge so to speak and I know it comes with some risks lol. I installed Windows 11 on the day it became available. And the issue with my Vive Pro 2 is the price I paid I guess. In hindsight if I had known I probably would have waited a bit. At least I have two other decent headsets I can use in the meantime.

Yeah this message was just posted two hours ago on the Oculus forum. Seems HTC is not the only ones having some compatibility issues with Windows 11. They posted it shortly after I posted on there about my issue with HTC Vive Pro 2 and Windows 11.

Hi there fellow gamers! Since the recent update, Windows 11 has not been compatible with the Quest 2. We know that this is an issue and are working towards new updates. Window 10 is still compatible and recommended for your device.

Edited by dburne

@C.T.

Just wanted to bring to your attention based on what I am reading on some other forums seems the Oculus Quest 2 suffers from the same behavior in Windows 11 as the Vive Pro 2. Same symptoms with major stuttering and very low fps when launching a game. I know not all Vive Pro 2 users are affected but some like me certainly are. Might be a clue in there somewhere, at least I hope. Sure would love to see this get resolved.

Currently my Vive Pro 2 is unusable and I sure am missing it.

Edited by dburne

I guess I am a glutton for punishment but have installed Vive Console again and have been messing around with it again all day.

I am convinced the problem at least for me lies with the Defender security settings in Windows 11. I have been experimenting with adding certain files from the Vive Console and Steam software to an exclusion list in Defender.  I have managed to get it to where I could game with the Vive Pro 2 a good part of the day today without the crazy shaking/stuttering of the image going on. I am not saying yet this is a permanent solution for me as it is way too soon to tell. But I do believe it is definitely security related with Windows 11 and my Vive Pro 2. I know in Windows 10 I did not have this issue at all and did not need to mess with it's security settings.

I am sure I will be messing around with it some more over the next few days and will report back on how it goes. I would so love to get it to where it never does this again on me but am not real hopeful there, but seems I am getting it to where I can at least game with it some. And again I would note both my HP Reverb G2 and Valve Index works beautifully in Windows 11. None of this crazy shaking/stuttering of image going on with those.

On a positive note, my Index cameras are behaving properly now with the Vive Pro 2, they power on and sleep appropriately now when launching and exiting the Vive Console software. No idea what happened previously with them.

Edited by dburne

On 12/5/2021 at 7:15 AM, dburne said:

I guess I am a glutton for punishment but have installed Vive Console again and have been messing around with it again all day.

I am convinced the problem at least for me lies with the Defender security settings in Windows 11. I have been experimenting with adding certain files from the Vive Console and Steam software to an exclusion list in Defender.  I have managed to get it to where I could game with the Vive Pro 2 a good part of the day today without the crazy shaking/stuttering of the image going on. I am not saying yet this is a permanent solution for me as it is way too soon to tell. But I do believe it is definitely security related with Windows 11 and my Vive Pro 2. I know in Windows 10 I did not have this issue at all and did not need to mess with it's security settings.

I am sure I will be messing around with it some more over the next few days and will report back on how it goes. I would so love to get it to where it never does this again on me but am not real hopeful there, but seems I am getting it to where I can at least game with it some. And again I would note both my HP Reverb G2 and Valve Index works beautifully in Windows 11. None of this crazy shaking/stuttering of image going on with those.

On a positive note, my Index cameras are behaving properly now with the Vive Pro 2, they power on and sleep appropriately now when launching and exiting the Vive Console software. No idea what happened previously with them.

Mate, if you cannot take the time and effort to roll back to win10, then you'll probably have to live with these win11 issues for at least the next ~6 months imho. Like all who are currently complaining  on the Oculus and SteamVR forums.  My VP1 is still working perfectly btw.

Edited by TomCgcmfc