User guide for Focus 3 Unity Development?

Giantbean

Do not worry, pico neo is here, with better hand tracking, ACTUAL documentation and commented code. HTC really needs to make their docs user-friendly or they will loose the few developpers trying to create apps for this headset... This is really sad that they were pioneer some years before and now it just crumbles... If the informations were not scattered around 23 different websites, and outdated, we would actually be able to develop. The fact that even the HTC Preview in unity play doesn't work shows how little the support is for the devs...

• Like 1

Oh plenty to worry about when not going with the Focus 3 - we're official OpenXR adopters (i.e. passed the conformance test suites) for both the PC and Android OpenXR runtimes (see openxr.org). Hand tracking now includes full support for total occlusion (with the wrist trackers) and docs are indeed improving as we're making it easier to find and we've been presenting at events and videos are forthcoming. Direct Preview should be working with the latest SDK and you can also use VBS for in editor previewing. Developers really only need to visit 2 sites: forum.vive.com and developer.vive.com.

If you have specific recent issues we'd like to know the details.

Hello, first of all thanks for your answer. I would love to know more about vive business streaming and how can i make it working in the editor : i just tried it again, directpreview does not work... I get an image in the headset, but it is static. I followed the tutorial countless times, and i feel that i am close to having a direct preview, but it doesn't work... I have no errors, i tried multiple rigs and cameras : the headset does not move in play mode, and if i close an eye, i can see a part of the scene clearly... But it's like an image that doesn't move

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Hi @Dario

DirectPreview does not work.

Neither in USB nor WiFi mode. The connection just times out. What is your setup to make this work ?

Also, care to explain how to use VBS ? Because it only shows the basic SteamVR layout in the headset, but does nothing when Unity enters Play Mode.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I still haven't gotten anything to work on this headset as the documentation just isn't clear and I am too busy working on multiple other projects. Vive should give some one like Justen P Barnett (https://www.youtube.com/c/justinpbarnett) a free headset and have him make some usable tutorials. I much prefer this headset to Meta Quest or Pico Neo and there terrible data scraping policies that allow them to record your voice and sell data to third parties among many other issues with those headsets but without good documentation Vive has just made another paper weight.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/14/2022 at 11:39 PM, Giantbean said:

Is there a guide for building VR for the Focus 3?  I have spent the last few years making PC VR with VIV, Pro, Eye and Valve Index headsets but I find all I get with the focus 3 is errors.

I have tried to follow https://insights.virti.com/how-to-setup-a-vive-focus-project-in-unity/  as its the best documentation I can find but even it fails.

Running Unity 2019.4.26 as I have an old PC Open VR Steam VR build I am trying to move over to the wireless headset.  I get errors as soon as I try to add any Vive tools like:

• Assets\HTC.UnityPlugin\ViveInputUtility\Scripts\VIUSyntheticDevice.cs(24,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'PoseState' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I also tried making a fresh 2019.4.26 build with no steam VR and started with Open XR.

• XR Plugin Management 4.0.7
  • Vive Input Utility  1.14.1
  • Vive Wave SDK 3.2.0
  • Android modules 

However Wave VR wont actually activate in the build platforms as I get errors about Wave VR Settings not existing.

• Library\PackageCache\com.htc.upm.wave.xrsdk@4.3.0-r.5\Runtime\WaveXRHand.cs(23,30): error CS0103: The name 'WaveXRSettings' does not exist in the current context
  • Library\PackageCache\com.htc.upm.wave.xrsdk@4.3.0-r.5\Runtime\WaveXRSettingsHelper.cs(16,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'WaveXRSettings' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
  • GUID [9216d372fe0de4086af31dce05526406] for asset 'Packages/com.htc.upm.wave.xrsdk/Editor/WaveXRBuildProcessor.cs' conflicts with:
      'Assets/Samples/XR Plugin Management/4.0.7/Example XR Management implementation/Editor/SampleBuildProcessor.cs' (current owner)
    We can't assign a new GUID because the asset is in an immutable folder. The asset will be ignored.

• and 19 other similar errors.

I also tried using Vive Business Streaming and while the headset says its connected and has a good signal showing on the VBS, I can not get any software to run on the Focus 3 testing my own apps and multiple steam apps.

Also recently I needed to develop an application for my business. The Cogniteq company proposed to do this using Flutter technology (more about it - https://www.cogniteq.com/flutter-app-development). I agreed, they did it and it turned out to be the best decision, since the development took quite a bit of time, but in the end I got exactly what I wanted.

Is there any official documentation on developing for this headset?  @Alex_HTC @Dario @chengnay

I can offer some general tips and troubleshooting tips based on your description:

Unity Version Compatibility: Make sure you are using the correct version of Unity recommended for Vive Focus 3 development. Sometimes using old or new versions can cause compatibility issues with the SDK and plugins.

SDK and plugin versions. Double-check that you have the correct versions of Vive Wave SDK, Vive Input Utility, and other plugins installed. Mismatched versions may cause bugs and compatibility issues.

Documentation and Forums: Explore the official Vive developer documentation, forums, and community resources for tips and troubleshooting tips. The Vive Developer Portal and forums can be valuable sources of information and help.

Error messages. Pay close attention to the error messages you encounter in Unity. They often give clues as to what might be causing the problem, such as missing links or incorrect configurations.

Wave VR Settings. Wave VR settings missing errors suggest that there may be a configuration issue or a setup step has been missed. Please read the installation instructions carefully and ensure that you have configured the Wave VR settings correctly in your Unity project.

Vive Business Streaming: If you're having problems with Vive Business Streaming, double check your network setup and make sure everything is set up correctly on both your PC and Focus 3 headset.

Official support. If you can't resolve the issues yourself, try contacting Vive's official support channels for help. They can provide personalized recommendations and troubleshooting assistance.

Unfortunately, I don't have a direct solution to your specific problems, but I hope these tips will help you identify and solve the problems you're facing. Developing standalone VR headsets can be challenging, but with persistence and the right resources, you can hopefully overcome these challenges and continue on your VR development journey. Good luck!

• Like 1