VIVE Tracker

Apeside

Just got my 3 VIVE Trackers and I can't pair more than one.

I tried to manually pair them but I get this:

"To pair additional controllers, at least one of your controllers must be turned off. Only two controllers can be connected at a time."

Is there something I'm missing?

We've seen this happen a few times at events where we have multiple controllers and trackers around. It's frustrating! Have you got your controllers paired at the same time, , or are you just trying to pair 3 Trackers?

I'm afraid I don't have a definitive fix on this - it's usually mostly trial-and-error. As far as I can tell the error happens when one controller is 'remembered' and placed into one of your controller slots. In your case, you may have a tracker and/or a controller in that slot. What's confusing is that the controller that's occupying that slot may not even be powered on.

What we've done previously to solve it - this with controllers, but they're the same tech as the trackers - is find the controller that's paired by checking all the nearby controllers and powering them on, then seeing if they pair. When we track that down, we reset the controller. Here's procedure for that via Steam:

1. Hold down the trigger, menu button, trackpad button, AND grip buttons on the controller (everything except the system button)
  2. While holding the buttons, plug your controller into your computer with a micro USB cable (you may need an extra hand to do this)
  3. Wait for five seconds, then release the buttons
  4. Ignore the new storage device that appears and unplug the micro USB cord to reset

After that, we can usually re-pair the 'right' controller.

Let us know if that helps at all.

Hi Apeside,

I have the same problem. It's because every tracker needs his USB dongle. Is it true, Rockjaw?

I have two Trackers, I tried pair two Trackers to one dongle, and same "message".

When I used both USB dondles, no problem.

I think you have to use all three USB dongles.

Michal 

• 1 month later...

I think I have a theory about why it may not be working - to run just the Vive and its two controllers, you need two Base Stations that flood your playspace with detection beams, but just suppose that's not the only reason why there are two of these.

It is possible a single Base Station is responsible for tracking up to two devices at once, which explains there being a pair of these in the pack; to pick up the additional controller.  However, in order to track the headset, controllers and more than one Vive Tracker, you need another Base Station for every two more devices you are using...

Following this paradigm, therefore, HTC may need to develop a Hub device to synchronise several dongles, as well as offer a package for people wanting multiple trackers for motion-capture.  iKinema's "Orion" system may also be able to handle the multiple trackers, in alternative to using the kit's bundled markers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wrote:

Can someone confirm it? Do I need to use dongle for each tracker and can't just connect them via headset like controllers?

That's correct, use a dongle for each tracker - you can think of the controllers the same way, only that their "dongles" are inside the headset. And that's why you should take care of having the controllers paired (and even connected) first to avoid a tracker inadvertently pairing with the headset which is reservered for the controllers.

Archived