Firefox Reality officially retired - Will HTC support Wolvic?

jefmes

Now that we know Firefox Reality is official being sent out to pasture and Igalia is forking it to take over development as "Wolvic" I have to assume HTC has a game plan to replace Firefox Reality w/ Wolvic on the Focus 3 ASAP. Do you guys plan to put out a statement about this soon, or have anything you can share about what direction you'll be going? I'm thinking about trying to build it myself for the Focus 3 with the latest WaveSDK, but I don't really want to put in the time if you're already working on doing that.  https://wolvic.com/

Otherwise, I consider this a good thing and I hope HTC will support the effort in light of us not having any other real browser options. Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, please let us know how HTC is planing to go forward with browser integration in focus 3. I am planning to by 10+ focus 3 headsets for a small university project for which webxr integration will be instrumental. Right now, with the current firefox reality version mozilla hubs is not even working properly for me. This would be a deal breaker for

the project. Anyway, @jefmes if you build a working version of wolvic for foucs 3 (or there is one already that I couldnt find) ...  I would be glad if you could share (the info).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crapshot.ai said:

Yes, please let us know how HTC is planing to go forward with browser integration in focus 3. I am planning to by 10+ focus 3 headsets for a small university project for which webxr integration will be instrumental. Right now, with the current firefox reality version mozilla hubs is not even working properly for me. This would be a deal breaker for

the project. Anyway, @jefmes if you build a working version of wolvic for foucs 3 (or there is one already that I couldnt find) ...  I would be glad if you could share (the info).

Hey there crapshot.ai - I really haven't given it much more of a try so far, I keep hoping we'll hear something back officially soon. If I have some time this weekend maybe I'll give it another go. I was able to get the foundational WaveSDK pieces set up and working properly for a native app and deployed it successfully to the headset, so I at least have the base pieces in place, but compiling an entire browser not properly targetted for the device...that's a little out of my comfort zone. 🙂 But I might be able to make it work. If I do I will let you know.

Thx for getting back so quick. Can relate ... but the current version of the Unity waveSDK works properely with focus 3? Was thinking of making a Unity multiplayer app instead of using mozilla hubs.  I could probably manage to set up voice chat with photon, but all the other stuff I need like screen sharing or displaying pdfs, no idea. Would be great if HTC could get a working vr browser integrated into a 1400 EUR piece of tech. Anyway, the problem is likely the firefox reality or hubs end ... My Quest 2 (sorry Meta 2) has no problems and the integrated browser works like a charm, but cannot use those for obvious reasons ...

Iglia has some info about building for Vive https://github.com/Igalia/wolvic

But doing this exceeds my skills, I could hit clone the repo 😉 but then, no idea ... Anyway, thx a lot, If you get something working I would be indepted to you forever, Cheers, Uli

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wolvic FAQ now actually states the HTC Vive Focus is on their support list. When can we expect to hear something from the HTC Vive team about our roadmap for browser plans? I've pretty much given up trying to use WebXR content on the headset as things have degenerated in Firefox Reality over the past year.  https://wolvic.org/en/faq/

Which platforms are currently supported by Wolvic?

Currently we are focused on relatively capable stand-alone Android/AOSP based operating systems and HarmonyOS tethered systems, including: Huawei VR Glass, HTC Vive Focus, Oculus Quest, Pico Interactive, and Lynx devices. We are not currently focused on some legacy devices like the Oculus Go.

OK, they seem to plan something then. I also asked them directly via email and got the following reply "Wolvic doesn't support any HTC devices officially yet. We are working currently on trying to close partnerships for 2022-2023 and will release a public roadmap and FAQ with some clarifications about this topic soon. We of course would like to officially suport the Vive Focus 3 headset, but for now we cannot confirm when/if this will happen." So maybe we will see something in the near future. ... I have just order 10 Focus 3 headsets ... in the worst case we have to stick with some commerical content like Vive Sync or get something unity-based running as an app. If you hear anything, I would really appreciate any news regarding this issue.Cheers, Uli

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 8:25 AM, crapshot.ai said:

OK, they seem to plan something then. I also asked them directly via email and got the following reply "Wolvic doesn't support any HTC devices officially yet. We are working currently on trying to close partnerships for 2022-2023 and will release a public roadmap and FAQ with some clarifications about this topic soon. We of course would like to officially suport the Vive Focus 3 headset, but for now we cannot confirm when/if this will happen." So maybe we will see something in the near future. ... I have just order 10 Focus 3 headsets ... in the worst case we have to stick with some commerical content like Vive Sync or get something unity-based running as an app. If you hear anything, I would really appreciate any news regarding this issue.Cheers, Uli

If you're open/able to go with other app based content also (not sure what specifically you're doing of course) I would check out StereoKit. I've been following along with the project for a good while and testing and experimenting with the Focus 3 when I can, and if you have people on your team with OpenXR/C# experience it's pretty straight-forward to make simple VR apps. All depends on your needs tho of course, Unity/Unreal might be better.

• 3 weeks later...

Thx for you reply, yes something unity-based would be an option, as I have some experience with Quest 2 development there. Do you have experience with the Wave SDK and Focus 3? I might have to look into this. Regarding the browser issue: i inquired with the company, who is the sole business distributor for HTC Vive in Germany about the browser issue and the asked HTC about it. The information that I got was still somewhat vague, but they said that they are working on a Vive Browser that might be released in Q2/2022. Lets see ...

• 1 month later...

So this popped up today... https://www.viveport.com/bf2e75be-ff15-4349-8efc-45a16be03ab0

And the response via Twitter, "VIVE Browser was created because the Firefox Reality is being removed from stores, this initial VIVE Browser is intended to give you the immersive browser and bring the basic browser you know and love into VR - it is compatible with VIVE products."

But I'm not seeing "VIVE Browser" available for the Focus 3 at all. Am I missing something?

I also asked on Twitter if it's Chromium based or something VIVE has been working on for their version of Firefox Reality/Wolvic? I'd really be nice to get some clear technical information on this - browsers for WebXR are so stuck right now with Chromium and I've given up on WebXR on the Focus 3 for now.

• 2 months later...

Just to circle back here in case anyone else has been watching this - VIVE Browser is now supported on the Focus 3, at least on my headset on the "Beta" branch. The performance feels about the same as the old Firefox Reality for now, but hey I'll take it...baby steps toward a fully supported, WebXR compliant browser with enhancements for VIVE products is fine by me as long as it's getting updated regularly. I do hope the team considers making it an open source project on GitHub so people can more directly contribute and follow its development.

https://business.vive.com/appstore/detail/bf2e75be-ff15-4349-8efc-45a16be03ab0

Also please VIVE team, please let us install directly from the headset some day? 🙂 I think I had to 2-factor 4 or 5 times back and forth, from trying on phone, which was blocked no matter what I tried due to cookie requirements, to then PC, to then back to the headset which had decided to log me out again. It is not the most user friendly process, Business focus or not.