Better Quality in Vive Business Streaming

Raeldor

13 hours ago, thedrone said:

I have this issue with certain audio devices, so I just work around it by setting it to a source I know the Focus 3 will recognize and take over from. If I don't do this prior to starting VBS, I've found it to be impossible to switch afterwards.

With regard to the streaming improvements: I'm really impressed with what I've experienced thus far (200mps, quality, maximum sharpness basically looks like a wired Vive Pro 2). I played without issue for 30 minutes, but then it started to stutter (video and audio) and wouldn't recover (it was still playable, just not as flawless as before). I was using their experimental TCP mode, so I might have to disable that or lower my settings a bit. It could also be related to their new adaptive bitrate feature struggling to find the correct balance. Based on fan noise, the hardware is being pushed a lot harder now.

Rebooting seemed to fix this.  Audio is coming through the headset now. 

@RaeldorAm I correct in thinking your 200mbps/quality/max sharpness streaming is over USB 3? My headset is telling me my Wifi 5E connection is at 720Mb (in the same room) but using those high settings I'm getting pretty massive view port re-projection of some sort if I try to look quickly from left to right, or shift by body around side to side. The experience over wifi w/ 100Mbps and Balanced quality has been very good today, but I'm curious about your setup because I'm wondering if the max quality and high bit rate options are maybe only really viable over Wifi 6E.

1 hour ago, jefmes said:

@RaeldorAm I correct in thinking your 200mbps/quality/max sharpness streaming is over USB 3? My headset is telling me my Wifi 5E connection is at 720Mb (in the same room) but using those high settings I'm getting pretty massive view port re-projection of some sort if I try to look quickly from left to right, or shift by body around side to side. The experience over wifi w/ 100Mbps and Balanced quality has been very good today, but I'm curious about your setup because I'm wondering if the max quality and high bit rate options are maybe only really viable over Wifi 6E.

No, it's all wifi.  I actually haven't even set it to 200mbps.  I am getting good visual quality setting RS to 1.4 and keeping it at 70mps.  Just FYI, when I Connect my Quest to my PC it tells me my Wifi is supporting 1200mbps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raeldor said:

No, it's all wifi.  I actually haven't even set it to 200mbps.  I am getting good visual quality setting RS to 1.4 and keeping it at 70mps.  Just FYI, when I Connect my Quest to my PC it tells me my Wifi is supporting 1200mbps.

Ah good to know! Thanks.

9 hours ago, jefmes said:

That was me. I'm streaming over Wifi using a dedicated Wifi 6 router (RT-AX56U) which is located in the same room. VBS now skips the step where you have to connect to your network, so I can't see what speed I'm getting, but it used to show between 860 and 1200 mbps. I recognize the viewport reprojection you're describing and I can trigger it by moving my head quickly from side to side. It rarely happens during normal play, though. I'd be curious to learn if people with 6E routers don't have this issue, unfortunately my country hasn't approved 6E yet.

Edited by thedrone
  • Like 1

Well I just decided to splurge a bit after feeling like my current wifi setup wasn't quite adequate from my living room devices too, and I should have a Linksys Hydra Pro 6E router in my hands by the end of the day. 😄  This will be an interesting experiment either way it goes, I'm very curious to see how well the Focus 3 is able to utilize a Wifi 6E connection in the same room!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jefmes said:

Well I just decided to splurge a bit after feeling like my current wifi setup wasn't quite adequate from my living room devices too, and I should have a Linksys Hydra Pro 6E router in my hands by the end of the day. 😄  This will be an interesting experiment either way it goes, I'm very curious to see how well the Focus 3 is able to utilize a Wifi 6E connection in the same room!

Wifi 6E FTW! I just played an hour of HL:Alyx on Ultra quality, with Vive Business Streaming on Quality mode, mid-way sharpening, and 200 Mbps bitrate, and it was awesome! It's not *quite* native direct connect just yet, the hand movements are still just a bit more laggy in comparison, but that's really nitpicking. It's absolutely playable fully wireless in GOOD quality for the first time for me. If the latency gap can be closed just a bit more with further software updates I don't think I'll ever want to use it wired again. Well done HTC crew. 🙂

My next request is to get proper Focus 3 controller models into SteamVR so I don't have to see the Cosmos controllers again LOL. This headset keeps getting better and better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jefmes said:

Wifi 6E FTW! I just played an hour of HL:Alyx on Ultra quality, with Vive Business Streaming on Quality mode, mid-way sharpening, and 200 Mbps bitrate, and it was awesome! It's not *quite* native direct connect just yet, the hand movements are still just a bit more laggy in comparison, but that's really nitpicking. It's absolutely playable fully wireless in GOOD quality for the first time for me. If the latency gap can be closed just a bit more with further software updates I don't think I'll ever want to use it wired again. Well done HTC crew. 🙂

My next request is to get proper Focus 3 controller models into SteamVR so I don't have to see the Cosmos controllers again LOL. This headset keeps getting better and better.

Awesome.  Thanks for reporting back.  Did you have RS set to 1.4?  That made the biggest quality difference for me; way bigger than the data rate selection.

I think it's a great headset, but my biggest disappointment right now is the optics.  Compared to the Quest 2 there is a lot of distortion away from the center, which for a business oriented headset where you're likely reading a lot of text is very surprising.  I really wish they would offer an upgraded lens solution, but I don't think that will ever happen.  Love that it's AIO and the wider FOV though, obviously.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raeldor said:

Awesome.  Thanks for reporting back.  Did you have RS set to 1.4?  That made the biggest quality difference for me; way bigger than the data rate selection.

I think it's a great headset, but my biggest disappointment right now is the optics.  Compared to the Quest 2 there is a lot of distortion away from the center, which for a business oriented headset where you're likely reading a lot of text is very surprising.  I really wish they would offer an upgraded lens solution, but I don't think that will ever happen.  Love that it's AIO and the wider FOV though, obviously.

So you have a Quest 2 also? Do you think it looks better with the new software and RS at 1.4? The Quest 2 still looks a lot sharper to me, when I have it at 5408x2736. Setting the Focus 3 to 1.4 RS seems to just change the default SteamVR resolution, but it still seems like somewhere in the pipeline, it's downsampling to a non-native resolution. 

On 3/11/2022 at 6:35 AM, thedrone said:

With regard to the streaming improvements: I'm really impressed with what I've experienced thus far (200mps, quality, maximum sharpness basically looks like a wired Vive Pro 2).

When you say basically a wired Vive Pro 2 is it actually close, like better than Valve Index, Quest 2 sharpness? It's still nowhere near the Reverb G2 sharpness for me, and not even the Quest 2 sharpness. Not sure if I did something wrong or if people are just giving it a benefit of doubt given how bad it was before.