BSOD when plugging in Vive

Rappletek

Hi, I have just plugged in my vive (for the first time in about 3 months) and it has caused my Windows 10 os to unrecoverably BSOD .

I fresh installed my OS and started from scratch installing my standard apps (chrome, steam and grapic drivers) then as I was wishing to play with my vive, Vive next, so about as fresh an install as possible.

Only to get to the set up stage of plugging in the vive port, to have it instantly crash to a BSOD again. It gave me a hex code of 0x80070091.

I will post a specs readout of my pc as soon as my second hard reset and install completes.

Please if anyone from HTC can inform me as to why your hardware is causing this, and then as to what a soloution would be so I can actually use your hardware again, that would be lovely.

Regards

Joe

I have on my fourth attempt managed to bypass what appears to be the cause, when plugging the viveport in to the usb on the mother board, DO NOT use the USB 3 red socket, this will trigger the un-recoverable BSOD.  I changed some USB sockets around and it now apears to work without issue. 

Now if only I hadnt had to fresh install everything on my PC, getting rid of everything...

You're not alone.  Mine did that last week.  SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED or something to that extent.  I lost everything on my C: drive.  Had to download windows onto a flash drive and reinstall from scratch.  I have been too terrified to try to plug the Vive back in thus far and I came here searching for help.  I'm glad I found your thread.  I will try your suggestion and keep my fingers crossed.

I have to say I tested it again, in the other USB ports and they all seem to be fine, and as I have nothing on my PC worth saving, I decided to test the USB 3 port again and had the same issue occour. 

So the name of the game is plug something else in to that port and never plug the vive in there... 

Hope yours works Frey. 

Joe

Thanks!

I have the same Mobo.  That Red socket (And the black one directly beside it) is listed in the Manual as an 'ASMedia USB 3.1 controller' despite the USB port itself being only a 3.0.  All the other 3.0 ports on the Mobo are listed only as '3.0 controllers'.  I am not tech savvy and haven't the foggiest idea what all that specifically means, but it's the only difference I see and the only possible reason I could see that might be making a difference.

I will hook up my Vive again tonight into a different USB and let you know how it goes.  Hopefully well.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness how long has it been?  Between swapping between day and night shift weekly at work and an ailing kitty, I don't even know.

My apologies for taking this long.  I did manage to find time to restore the Vive the other day and, much like the other person here, works just fine on another USB port other than that red one.  As I have little time to go through another BSOD, I opted to not attempt that port again, and just be resigned to having it function.

My specs would be:

Maximus VIII Hero Mobo

980Ti Video Card

WIndows 10 - 64 bit

Intel i5-6600K CPU

16 gigs of RAM or so

Anything else you need?

Archived