Headset not recognized - no tone when USB or HDMI is attached to my computer

I have an early model HTC VIVE headset, but I lacked a broadband connection, so I haven't been able to use it for about two years. I just had broadband installed, and want to hook up and play, but when I follow the set up guide, the headset isn't recognized by my laptop (there are no alert tones when I plug in the USB and HDMI cables, the 2.0 USB socket recognizes other devices at that port), and I can't get past the screen that reads "Please plug in your VR headset."

I've tried using other USB ports including the 3/.0 buss, but the headset won't power up, and I don't have any LEDs showing.

I have checked the connections at the headset, on both sides of the PC/Headset interface and my computer. I have a friend that will be helping me check to see that my laptop is configured correctly, but if anyone has knowledge, or has faced similar issues, any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA

Check your audio jack if you're using wired headphones. Look for the audio output port on the side or back of your computer, which is usually marked with a headphones or speaker icon, and double-check that your headphones are correctly plugged in. You can also unplug and re-plug them to fully engage them until you hear a click.

I had help from a friend who diagnosed the problem. We aren't sure why, but the power supply for the headset failed while I had the headset stored. I set up a temporary unit, and was able to get the headset to function.

I replaced the power supply & I'm ready to rock

• 2 weeks later...