Has anyone gotten Boneworks to work with the Focus 3 controllers?

Tausendberg

I have tried many steamvr games by now but Boneworks is the only game giving me the weird issue where none of the controls (joystick, trigger, x/y/a/b buttons) work at all. I can move the player character's hands in boneworks by physically moving the controllers but that's it! Nothing else is possible.

I have tried all of the community bindings but they don't affect anything.

Again, this is the only game I have had this issue with, I've already contacted the Boneworks subreddit to see what might be going on, but I figure I'd ask here as well in case anyone has a solution. 

Upon closer examination, if I start up steamvr directly, but don't open Boneworks, and then look at the possible controller bindings, I see that the control assignments are VERY DIFFERENT (see top image).

If I load Boneworks and then look at controller bindings, I see this weird mishmash of tabs that don't really seem to belong and differently named settings that don't seem to acknowledge the hand it's holding.

It seems like if I could just force Boneworks to use the profile that is selectable before I load it, I could control the game.

So what's going on? Why does SteamVR show different control schemes before and after the game is loaded? And how can I force it to use the control scheme in the top?

Untitled.jpg

I guess this sounds more like a steamvr community binding selection thing? Since boneworks doesn't seem officially support or recognize the focus 3 controllers, its just keep loading the binding selections of that user SEVENDEADLYCYNS maybe you once selected before? And doesn't save the custom ones of yours. Guess that the only chance is to select manually every time after you enter the game?

I did see some posts in SteamVR forum, people were complaining about not able to edit bindings with recent SteamVR updates though. Hope you can figure it out or check out the SteamVR discussions there! 

I don't think it's a steamvr community binding issue, for sake of troubleshooting I created a completely fresh binding and the behavior remains unchanged.

Far as I can tell, Boneworks must handle controller inputs differently than any other steamVR app.

• Like 1

So, just wanted to report, I tried reverting back to 1.06.6 because I suspected that maybe the new hand tracking implementation was causing a conflict in the inputs of Boneworks but even once I rolled back and even disabled the hand tracking inside the Focus 3, the lack of controls remains unchanged. 

Also, I asked another Focus 3 user and they have the same exact issues with Boneworks so it's not just me. 

Boneworks is one of the highest seeling PC VR games to date, it might be worth it for the HTC devs to take a look at the issue, perhaps it might be an easy fix from their perspective and might head off similar compatibility issues with other games and apps in the future.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Stress Level Zero's next game was just announced to be coming out later this year, so hopefully the Focus 3 will be tested and supported for Bonelab and they'll extend that support to Boneworks. 

I really feel a game like Boneworks is meant to be experienced wirelessly, the main character even puts on a wireless headset in the intro. 

@Tausendberg Focus 3 as a product will remain an enterprise product - we don't really do outreach on the product to gaming devs.

That said, since it's now 2022, if SL0 develops their game using a fairly modern Unity for SteamVR workflow, it should benefit from modern cross-platform SDK improvements for controller mapping, even if they don't specifically work to target F3.

Alot of use of VBAS is specifically people doing simulator and arcade and training deployments - it's not something that's really on SL0's radar as a gaming dev.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you guys keep saying it's an Enterprise Product, but there are a few of us at least who consider it more to be the best wireless "Pro" headset on the market...so we'll keep pushing on the game devs to get proper support! 🙂

Exactly, I mean, maybe things will be different a year from now, but with the chip shortages... who knows, but right now, there's really no other headset on the market that does everything that Focus 3 does in such a streamlined package.

Oculus Quest 2/Pico Neo 3 (they're basically the same headset)? Inferior displays, sound, and build quality. Vive Pro 2 with Wigig adapter? Requires base stations, battery isn't built into the headset but has to be worn, vive pro 2 + wigig adapter + base stations are altogether more expensive than a Focus 3.

I've looked high and low and yeah, for SteamVR, the Focus 3 really just is the best solution right now, there's nothing else like it. 

• Like 1

I agree. I'm not a business user and bought it as right now it is by far the best wireless gaming headset on the market.

I do miss Boneworks though and hope we can figure it out.

• Like 1