2 Vives in 1 House

Berlanga

I have two original vives at my house. One downstairs in the living room, one upstairs in my roommate's room. We have been playing for a few months now no issues. All of a sudden, my roommates vive will loose tracking and grey screen after we play together a few minutes. If I turn my steam vr off and unplug my base stations, his will run correctly again. 

Not sure what would've caused this out of the blue but any suggestions would help. So far I have:

Changed cable to link box,

Disabled all USB items and reinstalled all new drivers for base stations.

Like I said, they are upstairs and downstairs so no conflicting line of sight. 

@Berlanga - You're correct. As long as there is no line of sight between the two basestation pairs, there shouldn't be any conflicts. The sync array on first gen basestations has a range of 5-10m depending on the environment and the bright sync flash can "bounce" off walls and floors.

Is this happening with doors closed between the units?

Sometimes the basestation's bluetooth power management gets confused when there are multiple headsets within range. It could be BT power management interfering between the two headsets, but that doesn't correlate super well to what you're reporting.

It's super weird that it takes a few minutes to kick in rather than immediately.

Both stations are in B/C I assume?

@HackPerception yes they're both in b/c. We've played for a while now which is why its so interesting it just started happening. Bluetooth connection interference was my next thought. Mine has no issues, even when his fails. I have 'searched' for base stations and isolated the name of his and mine. Might there be a way to disable specific base stations based on their ID? 

@Berlanga Valve doesn't provide a ton of tools for the basestations.

You can disable basestation power management on both PC's and manually power the stations on/off and see if that helps.

Grey screen means loss of tracking. I would note the color of the status LEDs on the basestation of the affected headset when this is occurring.

The stations use BT mostly for power management and updates.

Basestations require a fairly steady supply of power. Something like an air conditioner or a refrigerator kicking on can cause the stations power supply to fluctuate and cause momentary tracking loss.

Aside from BS power management, if the two pairs are truly isolated (e.g. closed door between the systems), they shouldn't be interfering with each other.