Some more suggestions. :)

thedrone

The recent updates (particularly with regard to VBS) have been great, but as good as the Focus 3 currently is, there's always room for improvement. Here are some features I would like to see included in the future:

Hardware

1. New batteries should come with a sillicone cap for the charging port, to prevent damage from sweat. A stray drop could easily find its way to the exposed interals, causing a short.
  2. I understand there is now a narrow face gasket option (very nice), but I think a different kind of material other than pu-leather would also be much appreciated.
  3. I'd like some external Vive-branded IR illuminators to enable tracking in a completely dark environment.

Software

1. Please allow us to disable the controller prompt without defaulting to hand tracking in SteamVR. This gets awkward really quickly when you're trying to use a gamepad or keyboard and mouse (for seated games like Tetris or Bigscreen) and it randomly recognizes your hands as input devices. This is currently my biggest peeve with the device.
  2. There is a way to disable high performance mode (and reduce fan noise and airflow as a result), but I'd like a third option: fanless operation within a reduced thermal envelope for passive content consumption. Maybe combine with a 3DOF mode to eliminate tracking overhead and decreased brightness.
  3. I'd like to see the Focus 3 as a supported device in Viveport, and Viveport extended as a platform for XR2 content.
  4. Alternatives to the default Vive Reality Systems 2.0 would be nice.
  5. Better browser support is becoming a necessity.
  6. Native resolution streaming support in VBS would be much appreciated for increased text clarity.

@thedrone Thank you for taking the time to write thought out and structured feedback. 

On HW#3 - this is my favorite portable IR light I've been able to find. I agree - there aren't many small and friendly options out there.

SW#3: Viveport is a consumer product - and Focus 3 is classified is enterprise product. There's a separation between those bubbles for content licensing reasons. Vive business store exists to help provide enterprise specific licensing options on Focus 3.

That said, you can technically use Focus 3 with most Viveport PC content on via Vive Business Streaming. There isn't special UX for it, most stuff that works with Vive/Oculus should also work with F3 Streaming.

SW4#: It's quite expensive to "integrate" a headset into an operating system and I doubt any party would invest the resources required to do so. There's probably a limit to what you can develop on your own without an NDA and cooperation. 

Earlier, I wrote in a related topic some features that can bring usability to the device, for example:

Pass-Through Camera Mode as a Home Environment

Ability to customize the size and position of panels

Setting up shortcuts

It seems to me that these features can be introduced through experimental functionality, as in Meta Quest.

In general, it would be nice to open some additional api for custom mods and introduce them as needed and stable into the main firmware.

I would absolutely love Viveport support, or like a Vive Wave powered store for consumers, but yeah it's an enterprise device.

They'd need to re-release it at a lower price without the business warranty and just position it as a premium consumer product instead, like the Vive Pro 2 really.

Edited by ShadowBrain

On 4/6/2022 at 4:00 AM, HackPerception said:

@thedrone Thank you for taking the time to write thought out and structured feedback. 

On HW#3 - this is my favorite portable IR light I've been able to find. I agree - there aren't many small and friendly options out there.

SW#3: Viveport is a consumer product - and Focus 3 is classified is enterprise product. There's a separation between those bubbles for content licensing reasons. Vive business store exists to help provide enterprise specific licensing options on Focus 3.

That said, you can technically use Focus 3 with most Viveport PC content on via Vive Business Streaming. There isn't special UX for it, most stuff that works with Vive/Oculus should also work with F3 Streaming.

SW4#: It's quite expensive to "integrate" a headset into an operating system and I doubt any party would invest the resources required to do so. There's probably a limit to what you can develop on your own without an NDA and cooperation. 

Understood about the Focus 3's positioning as an enterprise product, but -correct me if I'm wrong- weren't the Focus and Focus Plus positioned as enterprise products as well? They still had access to Viveport content. I'm a little surprised that so many titles are being developed for XR2, but the only way to play them is with a Quest 2 (I assume Pico will announce an alternative within the next few days though). I would imagine that having the best XR2 headset and an established storefront would make for an obvious combination, especially if there are any plans of releasing a more consumer oriented afforable XR2 headset in the future, but I admit I'm not privvy to all the pertinent details. VBS is great and streaming works very well, which is why I like my headset as much as I do.

I didn't make myself clear regarding my SW#4. 🙂 I simply meant a selection of different Vive Reality Systems backgrounds to choose from, not a completely different OS - the current one works fine.