VIVEPORT work around that doesn't work.

Jason1972

Hello Everyone, I was told by Vive Support that I should come here and make a support Thread.

Ok, shortly after getting the HTC vive, I expereinced problems with the software. It was crashing my Steam, Making my VR useless, So I contacted VIVE support. After uninstalling nd reinstalling Vive on my computer, for hours in a day, with Support they moved me to a phone call on tier 2, for my problem. Come to find out, Vive doesn't even have the Vive port exe, in the download, So vive support gave me a work around, which is basically just running Vive port from a file on my computer, with a cmd making it live. This does nothing, it only allows me to download my stuff I have paid for, but I cant do nothing more, because the Vive port is not on my hard drive. So I am still not able to play games or utility I have in Vive port, After again talking with Vive Support over this Matter, they told me to make a thread over here at vive port, to get help, because they, can't help me with their non exe software. I paid for this, I expect it to work. Please if anyone knows more than the makers of this software, could you find it in your heart to help me?

wrote:

...I paid for this, I expect it to work. Please if anyone knows more than the makers of this software, could you find it in your heart to help me?

I understand exactly how you are feeling. My first week or so with Vive was the same way. I felt like, "Hey, I paid top $$$ all over town, and it ain't cheap, now you guys do your part and give me what I paid for!" It also seemed like there was a total lack of support from the vendors and even a disappointing level of grass roots support from the online community.

I would probably still be stuck at that same point had I not seen a thread that caused me to try Windows 10 instead of 7, even though THEIR compatibility checker said my rig would be adequate. This was a huge inconvenience at the time but the thing about VR is that it is so cool and the experience is so great when it works, that we will put up with a lot to get it. Almost like a drug addiction. So get used to it, junkie.

Anyway, when I finally did get the hardware installed, I went to run the Room Setup and it crashed because the exe was not found, at least not where the invoking program expected it to be. I remember thinking "OMFG - Do they test this AT ALL? Every single customer would have to run into this problem. How can this be? There MUST be other customers... It came in such a cool box..." So I ended up having to run the room setup manually, and miraculously, after 8 or 10 days of anxiety, frustration, anger and hopelessness, it worked. Room Scale, MFers!!! How you like me now??? :smileylol: After that, as soon as I ran the intro program with the British eyeball robot and the balloons, I knew that all this junk I had purchased was ultimately going to work and life would be worth living again. And so then I became a VR junkie, too.

Everything has been pretty cool since then. Some games/experiences are awesome and some are not what I had hoped, but then others way overshoot the estimate and surprise me. I have not had as many hours to devote to my addiction as I had hoped, but this limited schedule has allowed me to have more than enough content to make it through five months. And unlike real-world drug addiction, I can still reach that initial high. I still keep some good ones unplayed in my stash for when I need it. This weekend I tried Acan's Call for the first time. Excellent. And I still have RawData and Island 359 to look forward to.

I had a scare the last couple of weeks when my VR rig started having whiteouts, totally preventing immersion, killing my needed VR buzz and leaving me stuck, cranky, in regular reality. Not good. We don't really know what caused the problem, but moving base stations seems to have helped a lot, so I was able to get the fix I need and I will be able to attend work tomorrow, though I consider it a waste of time when I could be sitting in my computer room in the dark, facing a virtual [whatever].

In summation, I know you're PO'd right now, and justifiably so, but try to keep cool. It will all get worked out. Sounds like you're getting some factory support which is great. Don't be mean to the tech. All your anger needs to be directed at a VP somewhere, not the technician who is your only life line.

And when you finally get it working you will breath a sigh of relief and you will finally start to feel all the VR coolness you paid for and forget all the badness, and someday you will see a post from some frustrated new guy, you'd like to be able to tell him the answer but his problem is different from what you had, but maybe you can give him some encouragement anyway.

Thank you very much for coming up.

The quote " It came in a cool box," Was killer, Mad props to you on that one... I should of mentioned I am using Windows 10, the Latest build. Some what of a few updates, since I wrote my Dismay's. I can play the Vive, with Steam and Steam only, for whatever reason, even if I do get VIVE PORT to install, all my games on it render steam useless, and all it ends up doing is crashing my steam. I mean it just hangs, doesn't run fluidly like it should, After a few minutes it tells me that whatever game I am trying to load from VIVE PORT, the shortcut is not loading and then it just goes back to hanging.. I have to uninstall all of the Vive software to just steam again, and then it runs just fine.

The VIVE PORT not working, isn't really a big deal, what is a big deal, is I have a bundle on there and a sub, that I am paying for, which I will have to cancel if a can't get the VIVE software to work right. I already got credit on my VIVE games, since I couldn't play them with VIVE PORT  anyway.

VIVE support is very Troublesome, I have done nothing new but , uninstall, reinstall, let the in my PC to uninstall, reinstall, phone calls, for these Experts as they are called, to do the same thing, then to tell me I  have viruses, that is stopping the EXE from installing, to it's Steam VR that is Corrupted, only to reinstall it again, and again, I am at a loss, and so are they.  It's been a impossible journey, but at least I am able to enjoy the VR, to some Degree.. So my Rant really as of now, has to do with the lame suport and VIVE not working. I can still get on VR and 

So, sounds like the viveport software is not fully installing?

Few things to try.  Make sure your a local admin on your machine.  Make sure your running the install as an administrator (right click and run as administrator).  Make sure the drive/directory your installing to has enough space and that your user has full permissions to the directory its installing in.  Try changing the directory your installing to.  Turn off any security/anti-virus programs while installing to make sure they are not blocking the install. 

Hopefully one of those will get you going....

Thank you for coming up, 

I have done most of the things you have Mentioned, I dn't remember if I checked to see if I had premissions in my C drive, but I am Admin, only 1 account on this PC. I'll check a few things out.

All the rest I have done. I might try it again, in a few. 

Update, 

I now have been able to get Vive port on my computer, and I was able to load 2 games, Tilt Brush and Riches Plank. It is not runnig as smoothly as Steam, little glitches in loading , but I was able to play some. It's not where I want it to be, but it is a step in the right Direction.

I disabled my Mcafee, I don't have to do this when I open steam, but for some reason Vive Port, only loads when it is disabled. I did this before I did the install and After. No one in support told me this might be a problem, I was told in support I HAve a virus... Go fig??? But as of now with the minor glitches, I  am to log into Vive Port and load games, somewhat bitter sweet, as its been a week. I will not complain about what is working though.. 

Thanks to everyone that came up. This is truly a nice piece of work, when it does work.

Glad to hear it's working now!

As a heads up for anyone who's reading this: Anti-virus programs can interfere with Viveport from time to time. It's not as often as it used to be, but it does still occur on occasion. Something to keep in mind when troubleshooting.

Thanks,

-John C

Im not familar with current versions of mccafee, but there should be some way to flag or mark directories that you do not want it to scan.  Adding the viveport software to those MIGHT let you keep the antivirus running but not interfear.  I hate to tell people the long term solution to their problems is to remove your security software.  Its great for troubleshooting whats happening, but vive and mccafee need to get their software playing nice so you can keep your running.

How goes it?

The McAfee could be broken as well. I've seen a lot of problems solved by uninstalling and re-installing the same AV. Those AV prodyst get their hooks in so deep that when they screw up "unpredictable results may occur".

Another thing I would try is, if you have another hard disk laying around, reformat and do a clean Windows install on it and then install Vive, just to see what happens. It doesn't have to be as big as your real drive because it's just for a test. You don't even have to mess with Activating it because it's just for a test.

I also gotta go along with Milkman that there is almost certainly a way to exclude files/directories. Though I think if you have a healthy AV product you should not ned to do this.

Archived