Is there a problem with the new Deluxe Audio Headstrap hinges?

wOOOOt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered mine June 5th at roughly midnight eastern time (I'm mountain time so 2 hours behind), I did get a email from HTC for the order but when I click the order number, it goes to the website and shows the Vive itself (ordered in April) but doesn't show the Audio head strap or the face pads and nose guards I also ordered. When I ordered through the Vive Canada website, it showed all items being "in stock" but I've not gotten a follow up email as to how my order is coming along (processing or shipping) so I'm sitting here with a question mark over my head. :(

Regards: Jack

Hi CaTaPulT,                       

It's Kranky Pantz from the ISRTV forums.

Funny finding you here, small world eh?

Did you ever receive your Deluxe Audio Strap?

I ordered mine from Amazon.ca on Tues June 6th and received it on Saturday June 10th.

So far so good, and it's definately an upgrade from the original strap, but all of these reports of hinges, and especially disintigrating foam defects have me concerned.

Funny thing is, when I place the Vive and the Rift side by side, the Vive looks like a Tank in comparison.

The Vive pretty much weighs twice as much as the Rift now, which will most likely make the Rift my go to HMD for extended sim racing sessions.

I still plan on keeping both, as they have their exclusive games and offer a nice contrast to each other experience wise.

I'm even keeping my Oculus DK2, as I just can't give it up for it's ability to play some older titles which don't work on these newer HMD's (Alien Isolation, GRID:Autosport, etc.).

Hope all is well on your end, and it's nice to see a fellow Canuck such as yourself here on these forums as well.

Cheers, KP

Hi Kranky Pantz, good seeing you here.

I did get my Deluxe Audio Strap last Friday. I do very much like the headphones built onto the Strap, they are quite good, better than some of the headphones I have at the house but not as good as my AKG Studio cans. I'm having mixed feelings about the overall comfort level of the new Strap, I personally don't find it any more comfortable than the old strap, maybe even less comfortable due to my having to have the Vive set out a little farther (side adjustment rings) to the full 2nd line away from my face to compensate for my eyeglasses. I'm still experimenting with the new strap, constantly adjusting it to try and get the sweet spot to where it will be comfortable, right now, I have to tighten it a bit too much and feel a lot of pressure on my face, but I am making progress with it. As for the desintegrating foam problem, from speaking to someone, it seems if you get one that the foam can fall apart just by rubbing it right out of the box, then you got one of the bad batches, so far mine has been holding up well, I've not sweated much with mine yet but no sign of the foam falling off or leaving itself on my skin (touch wood). I've never tried a Oculus but I've heard from many sources that it is much lighter than the Vive, this would be a welcomed thing but at te same time I preffer a lot of the features the Vive has over the Oculus (thus why I chose it).

I've been doing very little Sim Racing since getting the Vive, having fun with other VR related apps and games. But I did notice that when I do use the Vive for Sim Racing, I am faster in VR than I was with triple monitors. I seem to be able to judge the corners better, brake later and back on the throttle sooner. :)

I've also tried Prescription lense inserts from VRsight, these were horrible, the plastic frame around the lenses is too thick (as compared to the VR Lens Lab inserts) and pinches your nose when having a smaller IPD (mine's 63.3) and it's more blurry than wearing my glasses.

I also bought some Mammut protective rubber covers for my controllers, this is very helpful in case to hit the wall of something in the heat of action. I've also tried 2 different face covers from Vr Covers which I don't personally care for. I'm still using the HTC ones, Just ordered 2 wide ones when I ordered my new Strap. I've been hanging out a lot in VR Chat lately, some of the user created "Worlds and Avatars" are simply amazing there. :)

I hope you are getting much enjoyment from both your Vive and Oculus.

Take care

Oh yes, also regarding the hinges..... if you look into the Vive on either side, there is a very small screw there, this is what holds the hinges in place. They are a T4 or T5 (I can't remember) Torx screw, I made sure these two screws were nice and tight before I installed my Deluxe Audio Strap. :)

• 4 weeks later...

am I correct reading between the lines that the VR Lens Lab prescription lenses don't work with the Deluxe Audio Strap?

You said you tried a different make as well that fit differently and seemed blurry, so I'm not clear on whether you're using eyeglasses with the new Strap because the prescription lenses no longer stay in place b/c the frame doesn't lock them down anymore, or because they were damaged or unusable for some other reason, resulting in you trying a different make and now you're using eyeglasses because of that.

This would be disappointing as I find my VR Lens Lab lenses fantastic, but I really hoped for the easier on-off of the Deluxe Audio Strap, since I do development and need to jump in and out of VR frequently. Thanks!

And , I just did a search and saw your other thread on the matter. From that I see you got the Plano lenses from VR Lens Lab, then tried a different manufacturer for the prescriptions.

So my question would be... will the Plano lenses stay in place with the Deluxe Audio Strap attached? They are identical in fitting, so that would answer my question.

(I don't wear progressives, my age-related presbyopia is JUST bad enough to make me send bug reports to certain developers who put HUD, subtitle, or other head-locked elements too close to my eyes, but it's generally not an issue. Given the low resolution of the Vive compared to real life, if presbyopia did eventually become a problem, I could ask my doctor to give me a lower prescription—just like pushing your glasses down your nose.)

Hi TreyH.

No the Deluxe Audio Strap will not affect any lens inserts. If they work well with the old head strap, they will work fine with the Deluxe Audio Strap since the strap doesn't change the inside of the Vive in any way.

Yes, the VR Lens Lab inserts I have are Plano lenses for now, I am expecting my prescription VR Lens Lab lenses any day now, I went all out with these, RABS and Blue guard coatings. These are based on my distance prescription where as the other cheaper inserts were based on my reading distance. The cheaper inserts were VERY uncomfortable since the black plastic frame around the lens was thicker than the VR Lens Lab ones thus when using a smaller IPD (mine is roughly 63) it would pinch your nose, if using a large numbered IPD, they were fine. I will do a write up on a previous msg thread I had done regarding the new prescription lenses when I get them and have had time to experiment with them to see how well I see without wearing glasses in my Vive.

Hopefully these will do the job for me since they cost me a small fortune! LOL

Archived