[Unity Tutorial] How to use Direct Preview through USB or Wi-Fi (Video)

Vivi Wu

There’re many inquires on how to use Unity Direct Preview.

Now we have the new Direct Preview released. Please refer the new video here

What's Direct Preview:
In the development process, building APKs repeatedly in Unity is time-consuming. Direct Preview lets developers skip the build process by letting developers preview in both the Unity Editor and their headset simultaneously.

System Requirements:

• Microsoft® Windows® only.
  • Microsoft DirectX® 11 is needed.
  • Minimum graphics card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980. NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 is recommended for dpServer for better performance. It is also recommended to update the graphics card driver to the latest version.

Here is Direct Preview tutorial we provide to you:

1. Project setting : 00:13 - 01:38
  2. Direct Preview connect with USB: 01:38 - 03:02
  3. Direct Preview connect with WiFi : 03:02 - 04:40

For more information & FAQ for Wave Direct Preview, please visit Here.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

I still have some problems.

1. I follow the document to download the VIVE RR interface, but I don't know how to install it on my PC. It doesn't have any .exe.

image.png.48a888d90bed2603d43482e77239fe62.png

2. I clicked the "Install Device APK" button, and Unity cosole show install successd. And then I restart my headset, but I still can't found the "Vive_rrClient.apk" on my headset and run it.

Hi @YangNoca,
After the computer is connected to the headset, could you check whether the "adb devices" command is valid?
If the installation is successful, the "HTC Device/VIVE RR Interface" should appear after the headset is connected. 
Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello there! I ran into another challenge testing the DirectPreview connection via VIVE Business Streaming. After adding/removing the SteamVR package from my Unity project (I was trying to see if SteamVR offered some additional tools for development). It appears as though my headset is now searching for SteamVR to display by default, however, the Unity game view mimics movement from the headset without my Focus actually showing anything except for waiting for SteamVR. I am starting a new Unity project to only make use of the WaveSDK to avoid the hardware getting mixed signals from servers, but was hoping there may be an easier fix to this mistake of mine.

Appreciate any guidance in this!

10 hours ago, ElizabethK said:

Hello there! I ran into another challenge testing the DirectPreview connection via VIVE Business Streaming. After adding/removing the SteamVR package from my Unity project (I was trying to see if SteamVR offered some additional tools for development). It appears as though my headset is now searching for SteamVR to display by default, however, the Unity game view mimics movement from the headset without my Focus actually showing anything except for waiting for SteamVR. I am starting a new Unity project to only make use of the WaveSDK to avoid the hardware getting mixed signals from servers, but was hoping there may be an easier fix to this mistake of mine.

Appreciate any guidance in this!

Just fixed my own issue here, thought this had something to do with the SteamVR package being included alongside the WaveSDK, turns out I had URP on. I did a quick browse through another thread, looks like URP and DirectPreview are still under development. Sorry for the confusion!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 5:17 PM, Alex_HTC said:

android adb is not in your path, you'll need to add the location to your PATH variable and reboot 

Where can you find the location if I have installed the Android sdk using Unity Hub?