Second controller I pair has awful tracking

oddball

The Asus AI just puts all of the problematic services into one theoretically convenient place which allows you to disable them in one step. The services are likely still there but in the background. The last bit of advice I can give at this point is open up the task manager as an admin, find the services tab on the far right, hit sort by name, and see what Asus services are running. Try disabling/stopping them and seeing if that helps. Be sure to have steamVR closed when disabling the services and note the state of everything before you start making changes. 

Let me know if you've tried these steps before but this will flush the system of any previous/existing pairings.  After you perform these steps go through the pairing for each one and let me know if you notice any difference:

• On the PC, browse to C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\tools\lighthouse\bin\win32
  • Run lighthouse_console.exe
  • Type unpairall in the console window and then hit enter.
  • Once finished, the console window will display two identifiers as confirmation.
  • Close the console and restart SteamVR.
  • Attempt to pair the controllers again.

: Double checked for any problematic Asus services, only found one for my laptop's trackpad. No dice there unfortunately.

: I have indeed unapired through console before, that has become one of my bread and butter troubleshooting steps while trying to figure out this weird issue.

Thanks for your suggestions!

On another note, I was able to test another PC at my home here today. We expereinced the same issue unfortunately, the second controller that we pair goes absolutely bonkers. Was again able to determine that the issue is not unique to either lighthouse or controller after testing.

I have some tripods coming in tomorrow that will let me test at a friend's house, I might be able to fit that into my day tomorrow. If the issue persists over there, I guess I just RMA all of my equipment? I can't isolate it to any one piece so I don't know what else I could do. The physical store I bought it from has said that they will not offer any sort of exchange. (Thanks GameStop)

I appreciate your help so far, thanks again for that. Will keep you updated after I test a new envrionment out.

For what it's worth, I'm using a desktop with a Asus motherboard (Sabertooth Mark II motherboard) and am NOT having problems. I do have a couple Asus program  but not Asus Ai suite.

My Vive is connected to a USB 2.0 port.

I'm running a i7 4790k CPU (4.0 ghz) stock (not overclocked)

24 gigs of Kingston Hyper-X ram

a MSI GTX 980 video card stock (not overclocked)

Windows 10 Pro on a SSD

Steam folder is on my D: drive which is a 1tb HDD

The only time I seem to have problems is when SteamVR does a update to a newer version which introduce new problems, but they normally get that fixed within a day or two with a newer update.

I do not have VivePort installed and I do not have Oculus Home's hidden files running in the background (processes). I did notice that SteamVR seems to run better without those two programs (processes) running in the background.

Regards: Jack

: I don't have any 2.0 USB ports to try unfortunately, only 3.0. As for the other computer, it was another Asus laptop. Tomorrow I'm going to try and test at my friend's house and with his desktop. Will hopefully have positive results.

: That's good to know, thanks for that! I'm honestly confused with the idea of my laptop being the problem since there are reviews out there that discuss how the Vive works with it. Really weird.

Hi oddball.

Another thing to check since it can raise havoc with the Vive, if the USB ports are set to not go in standby (sleep). Being on a laptop, if you have turned this feature off, it may get turned back on when running the laptop on battery power. If for any reason a USB port you are using goes into sleep while your using your Vive, I can see how you would get intermitent interuptions with anything Vive related. I have mine all set to stay on at all times.

Regards: Jack

Archived