I think my headset is bricked, can't update firmware.

JoshMW

I tried updating my cosmos that I bought off someone, and it failed to update, The Vive console asks me to update the firmware and when I do it wants me to connect controllers also, The Cosmos was not sold with controllers, I have Vive Wands and Index Controllers but I cannot pair them to the headset since the firmware update failed. I tried clicking cancel but I still get a 200 error on my headset. I've tried uninstall and reinstalling the software, I even tried a fresh copy of windows 10 but I cannot get the headset to display at all.

is there any workaround for this or if a developer is reading this can you make an option to skip the controller firmware update.

okay so I found out the solution. For anyone who has this issue in the future, hopefully you don't have to struggle like.go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\VIVEDriver\App\ViveConsole\Tools\FirmwareUpdateKit" with a windows terminal and do ".\FirmwareUpdateKit.exe -normal_update" you may have to run as admin and the headset didn't work until I rebooted my pc.

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/3/2022 at 4:52 AM, JoshMW said:

okay so I found out the solution. For anyone who has this issue in the future, hopefully you don't have to struggle like.go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\VIVEDriver\App\ViveConsole\Tools\FirmwareUpdateKit" with a windows terminal and do ".\FirmwareUpdateKit.exe -normal_update" you may have to run as admin and the headset didn't work until I rebooted my pc.

Thank you for this, I followed this. The UpdateKit was in another folder for me.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\VIVEDriver\App\ViveConsole\Tools\FirmwareUpdateKit

The update failed two times, even with admin permissions. Rebooted PC and the update ran normally from SteamVR.