Vive Pro 2/shimmering edges of right eye.

TheOnlyDoor

On 10/17/2022 at 6:57 PM, DarkPowers said:

I'm also running into this again. I've had soo much trouble with the vive pro 2. I've already RMA'd 3 times. first 2 times were because of this exact issue. 3rd was for buzzing headphones. Now I'm running into this again and it's 30 days out of warranty. Vive wants to charge me for the repair. I'm not going to pay to fix a product that have never properly worked. The first and fourth headset had this start with both eye LCD at the same time. With the second headset it started on the right eye. It looks to me like either the wires in the LCD are degrading or the LCD driver is degrading. seems to be common that it starts at the outer sides and moves inwards? could be the LCD is not mounted properly and stress/strain is causing this? just guessing.

very unhappy with Vive.

PXL_20221015_213256965[1].jpg

I have had this kind of problem and was able to solve following these 3 steps: 1- While you are not using the vp2, DETACH the cables from linkbox (except the longest one that connects the linkbox to the hmd itself). 2- Don´t cover your hmd why anything, specially after use. It needs to breath.3- Don´t let the hmd´s lenses be able to "see" any light source. ANY, specially the brighter ones or, worst, sun rays. I´am considering the possibility that a exposure of the hmd´s lenses to any kind of light - at any distance-  for some hours produces these concentric rainbow rings, even if the omni light has low intensity. I ALWAYS do these 3 steps and never have had this problem again. This kind of problem fades out after 1:30 hour. If you are having screen tearing or bad performance, downgrade your nvidia driver to 512.95. Solved that problem too that i was having with the latest nvidia drivers. That´s it. The 1st step is specially important if you are using an DP extension cable and repeater. I use a 5 meters DP cable with a repeater and a USB active cable of 5 meters too. Probably these cables feed a considerable amount of energy from my pc to the linkbox, EVEN if the linkbox are turned off. This energy could - i think - produces the concentric rings to the hmd panels. I didn´t have any other problem since these 3 steps.

On 10/17/2022 at 6:57 PM, DarkPowers said:

I'm also running into this again. I've had soo much trouble with the vive pro 2. I've already RMA'd 3 times. first 2 times were because of this exact issue. 3rd was for buzzing headphones. Now I'm running into this again and it's 30 days out of warranty. Vive wants to charge me for the repair. I'm not going to pay to fix a product that have never properly worked. The first and fourth headset had this start with both eye LCD at the same time. With the second headset it started on the right eye. It looks to me like either the wires in the LCD are degrading or the LCD driver is degrading. seems to be common that it starts at the outer sides and moves inwards? could be the LCD is not mounted properly and stress/strain is causing this? just guessing.

very unhappy with Vive.

PXL_20221015_213256965[1].jpg

I have had this kind of problem and was able to solve following these 3 steps: 1- While you are not using the vp2, DETACH the cables from linkbox (except the longest one that connects the linkbox to the hmd itself). 2- Don´t cover your hmd why anything, specially after use. It needs to breath.3- Don´t let the hmd´s lenses be able to "see" any light source. ANY, specially the brighter ones or, worst, sun rays. I´am considering the possibility that a exposure of the hmd´s lenses to any kind of light - at any distance-  for some hours produces these concentric rainbow rings, even if the omni light has low intensity. I ALWAYS do these 3 steps and never have had this problem again. This kind of problem fades out after 1:30 hour. If you are having screen tearing or bad performance, downgrade your nvidia driver to 512.95. Solved that problem too that i was having with the latest nvidia drivers. That´s it. The 1st step is specially important if you are using an DP extension cable and repeater. I use a 5 meters DP cable with a repeater and a USB active cable of 5 meters too. Probably these cables feed a considerable amount of energy from my pc to the linkbox, EVEN if the linkbox are turned off. This energy could - i think - produces the concentric rings to the hmd panels. I didn´t have any other problem since these 3 steps.

I have had this kind of problem (concentric rings of rainbow) and was able to solve following these 3 steps: 1- While you are not using the vp2, DETACH the cables from vp2´s linkbox (except the longest one that connects the linkbox to the hmd itself). 2- Don´t cover your hmd with anything, specially after use. It needs to breath.3- Don´t let the hmd´s lenses be able to "see" any light source. ANY, specially the brighter ones or, worst, sun rays. I´am considering the possibility that an  exposure of the hmd´s lenses to any kind of light - at any distance-  for some hours produces these concentric rainbow rings, even if the omni light has low intensity. I ALWAYS do these 3 steps and never have had this problem again. This kind of problem fades out after 1:30 hour (if i do not follow these 3 steps). If you are having screen tearing or bad performance, downgrade your nvidia driver to 512.95. Solved that problem too that i was having with the latest nvidia drivers. That´s it. The 1st step is specially important if you are using an DP extension cable and repeater. I use a 5 meters DP cable with a repeater and a USB active cable of 5 meters too. Probably these cables feed a considerable amount of energy from my pc to the linkbox, EVEN if the linkbox are turned off. This energy could - i think - produces the concentric rings to the hmd panels, after hours. I didn´t have any other problem since these 3 steps. I imported my vp2 from USA to here, Brazil. My 1st and only one.

Edited by Lockwood_bra
I messed up with my reply. Now it is ok.

1 hour ago, Lockwood_bra said:

I have had this kind of problem (concentric rings of rainbow) and was able to solve following these 3 steps: 1- While you are not using the vp2, DETACH the cables from vp2´s linkbox (except the longest one that connects the linkbox to the hmd itself). 2- Don´t cover your hmd with anything, specially after use. It needs to breath.3- Don´t let the hmd´s lenses be able to "see" any light source. ANY, specially the brighter ones or, worst, sun rays. I´am considering the possibility that an  exposure of the hmd´s lenses to any kind of light - at any distance-  for some hours produces these concentric rainbow rings, even if the omni light has low intensity. I ALWAYS do these 3 steps and never have had this problem again. This kind of problem fades out after 1:30 hour (if i do not follow these 3 steps). If you are having screen tearing or bad performance, downgrade your nvidia driver to 512.95. Solved that problem too that i was having with the latest nvidia drivers. That´s it. The 1st step is specially important if you are using an DP extension cable and repeater. I use a 5 meters DP cable with a repeater and a USB active cable of 5 meters too. Probably these cables feed a considerable amount of energy from my pc to the linkbox, EVEN if the linkbox are turned off. This energy could - i think - produces the concentric rings to the hmd panels, after hours. I didn´t have any other problem since these 3 steps. I imported my vp2 from USA to here, Brazil. My 1st and only one.

That's actually really interesting, thanks for the share !

Maybe my english is too bad to understand the differences but I think we are talking about different kinds of problems. The original post is dealing with shimmering or faint ripples on the right eye (I have the same problem) but I am not sure it is related to concentric rings. 

Anyway, this VP2 has a great potential but we are all facing all kinds of problems with it since the beginning (I stopped sending it back to Romania for repair). It is a nightmare. I never had such problems with my previous headsets and I completely agree with all the comments of Gamedrix...

2 hours ago, Aragorn 76 said:

Maybe my english is too bad to understand the differences but I think we are talking about different kinds of problems. The original post is dealing with shimmering or faint ripples on the right eye (I have the same problem) but I am not sure it is related to concentric rings. 

Anyway, this VP2 has a great potential but we are all facing all kinds of problems with it since the beginning (I stopped sending it back to Romania for repair). It is a nightmare. I never had such problems with my previous headsets and I completely agree with all the comments of Gamedrix...

Yes, 

I'm the Original Poster.

My issue is the right eye screen tearing. I've been back and forth with support and they acknowledge the issue.

The fix is iether firmware or driver update. When the issue occurs, hold the black button on the side of the VP2 and the link box power button for 15 seconds and release.  ( takes 3 attempts somtimes) after a few moments vive console will allow you to force update the firmware. If this dosent fix it reinstall the most current drivers for your card, even if thier already installed.

This fixes it everytime and only takes about 2 or 3 minutes to do both. 

I haven't had the issues in days but also have not had a system crash or BSOD which is what I think causes the issue in the first place.