How is the Vive Focus 3 in 2022?

xoubie

Hi, when the Focus 3 was released, there seemed to be some criticisms about having to jump through some hoops to use it as a regular consumer, along with the PCVR streaming software being a bit rough.

Just wondering if anyone owns one and uses it for gaming, how is Focus 3 now?

For those who want the best and don't care about price, is it a wireless headset worth recommending?

19 hours ago, xoubie said:

Hi, when the Focus 3 was released, there seemed to be some criticisms about having to jump through some hoops to use it as a regular consumer, along with the PCVR streaming software being a bit rough.

Just wondering if anyone owns one and uses it for gaming, how is Focus 3 now?

For those who want the best and don't care about price, is it a wireless headset worth recommending?

Works flawlessly for me, remember lightning is key to good tracking or if you can get the LBE mode trough a resell partner. 

Gaming works flawlessly, clear picture and everything no issues with the software except you need other controllers or rebind the focus 3 controllers for certain games

Yes worth it :) 

Focus 3 is the most friction-free and high quality way to experience wireless PCVR currently on the market. Streaming has improved by leaps and bounds and controller compatibility seems to be at 100% now (there have been many improvements regarding OpenXR controller compatibility and Focus 3 specifically in the last couple of SteamVR updates). The only outlier (Boneworks), has been patched by the developer. A lightweight desktop app facilitates the wireless connection to the headset and the headset can be put in kiosk mode, with Vive Business Streaming as its only allowed content. This means I power on the headset, and I'm in SteamVR in seconds. I might have to re-do room setup (takes a few seconds) if lighting conditions have changed since the last time I played, but other than that it just works every time. Streaming is done at 2048x2048 and upscaled to the panels' resolution, so it's not native, but it's still very clear and detailed and text is easily readable.

From a consumer point of view, its standalone features are very limited (a handful of games, but mostly business-oriented apps), but there's a built-in video player and movies do look great.

If I had to buy another headset today and cost not being a factor, I'd choose the Focus 3 again. I prefer the wireless convenience, field of view and the geometric stability of the dual-element fresnel lenses over something like the Varjo Aero's clarity (which I've also owned, but sold because of quality of life issues I experienced with it). Honestly, I would never buy another wired headset again, no matter the specs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not so sure if I would recommend it in late 2022, how does the Pico 4 compare to the Focus 3?

I love my Focus 3 but it does have one shortcoming which is the lenses, which could've been a lot better imo, meanwhile the Pico 4, which almost looks like a Focus 3 copy, has pancake lenses.