Nvidia has changed the render pipeline. Framedrops on Vive Pro 2+ RTX 4090.

Aleksandr_V

On 10/27/2022 at 2:37 PM, Aragorn 76 said:

Hi,

Maybe a silly question (I just received my RTX 4090 and had similar problems with my Vive Pro 2)... Have you checked the resolution per eye in Steam VR ? Mine was set automatically to more than 6000x6000 (per eye !!). Too much obviously !

I reduced it down to 3000x3000 and no problem anymore (I just tested HL Alyx and Moss...).

Laurent

I am trying now Alyx and I can not play it on anything else then 2448x1224 (1224x1224 per eye). HTC VIVE PRO 2 and RTX 4090. If i put anything higher in Vive Console. I start the Alyx game and see only concrete cave. And nothing can do. On Windows screen I have purple and black cubes - no screen in "Alyx game window". I try beta steam vr, beta console Vive. Nothing helps.

And just when I go on basic resolution 2448x1224 in console. I can play Alyx.

In other games - like beatsaber - I play Audioshield. I have same problems like others in this forum. For best performance I have to set (also for Audioshield - basic game) - 2448x1224. This is terrible.

My next HMD will not be HTC in any way. They can make whatever, but I will never buy it. Because they are not able to fix anything. Over maybe 4-5 years we wait for update of led charging diod - they promised to repair with update.

Aragorn - can you try today Alyx if you realy can play in anything over 2448x1224?

p.s. I tried also safe mode starting Alyx - same results.

• Sad 1

so I did some test and have some information. I reinstall Vive console. Try Alys again on max - 4896x2448 120hz and it works. But walls are shaking when I am moving with head like in Matrix :). Reprejection and frames drop like .....

I also try to max all graphics - ultra - in menu Alys and still working. Then I quit. Switch in Vive console to Ultra - 4896x2448x90 and no working. Game launched. I stand in the middle of concrete and no menu visible to play the game. Same at all Vive console setings with 90hz. Working only at 2448x1224x120 and 4896x2448x120.

I played audioshield 30minutes today - on 2448x1224x120 in Vive Console and anyway on this smallest resolution is not like it was with RTX3090. You can feel it in this fast songs - i play special Insane mod and you just feel that is not good. But it is playable.

I hope experts from HTC will do something soon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrCamper said:

I hope experts from HTC will do something soon.

I too have the pink/grey box issue with Alyx, only since i got my 4090. Other games also bug-out if the console is set too high, like pistol whip which has missing textures such as THE ACTUAL PISTOLS!!! I've written to vive and sent my log files using the 'report an issue' tab through VIVE console, which i encourage all 4090 users do. 

So here is my question.  I've been following this *explicative* thread for FAR too long waiting on someone at HTC to get off their insanely comfortable lazy *explicative* rear-ends and FIX THIS *explicative* problem.  I purchased my Vive Pro 2 from Amazon (Amazon was the seller) back in mid October 2022.  Because Amazon started their holiday return season for anything purchased from October - Jan 31 I can return this thing. 

My question to all of you is - do I remove the lighthouses from my walls and pack all this hunk of crap up or do I continue to sit here like a lap dog and wait for someone at HTC to give a *explicative* about their customers and address this problem?  I can play beat saber.....that's it.  For everything else I have been forced back to my Q2 since I purchased my 4090.....MONTHS NOW. 

SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME ON HTC.  More concentrated on releasing their crappy new AR headset no one with a right mind will purchase than addressing the issue completely BREAKING their only "pro" consumer headset.  Excellent *explicative* idea.  Bloody brilliant. 

So....RETURN?  Or stick it out?  

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, DaddyDubz said:

So here is my question.  I've been following this *explicative* thread for FAR too long waiting on someone at HTC to get off their insanely comfortable lazy *explicative* rear-ends and FIX THIS *explicative* problem.  I purchased my Vive Pro 2 from Amazon (Amazon was the seller) back in mid October 2022.  Because Amazon started their holiday return season for anything purchased from October - Jan 31 I can return this thing. 

My question to all of you is - do I remove the lighthouses from my walls and pack all this hunk of crap up or do I continue to sit here like a lap dog and wait for someone at HTC to give a *explicative* about their customers and address this problem?  I can play beat saber.....that's it.  For everything else I have been forced back to my Q2 since I purchased my 4090.....MONTHS NOW. 

SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME ON HTC.  More concentrated on releasing their crappy new AR headset no one with a right mind will purchase than addressing the issue completely BREAKING their only "pro" consumer headset.  Excellent *explicative* idea.  Bloody brilliant. 

Happy Holidays! Limited Staff Responses: 1/20 - 1/31

46 minutes ago, DaddyDubz said:

Hate to say this because I really do love my Vive Pro, but honestly if you are still in the return window I'd advise returning it. The Vive Pro 2 is quickly becoming an antiquated headset and there are MUCH more exciting HMDs coming out in 2023, both basestation tracked and inside out thanks to the push for all headsets to utilize at least 2000x2000 per eye miniLED and pancake lenses. The Vive Pro 2 may have a high resolution but it's sweet spot is terrible and for what it costs, it's kind of not worth it. I 100% struggle to recommend this headset in 2023, and I'd even go as far as to say it was the same for the end of 2022. If the 4080 and 4090 didn't have the SAME ISSUE with the Vive Pro 1, I'd recommend that with basestation 2.0's and index controllers as a hold-over (you can get a Vive Pro used for $300 or less) but alas, even the original Vive Pro and I spent over a week exchanging emails with technical support until they simply stopped replying after blaming my PC for it and telling me to install drivers from mid 2022... on a 4080.

Like I said earlier.. if you've got the itch and deep enough pockets for a significant upgrade just go with a Varjo Aero, it'll be a better experience and the one issue I had with mine (usb cable was acting funky) they literally sent me a replacement cable overnight with only 2 email exchanges, not even asking for the bad one back or anything.