Nvidia has changed the render pipeline. Framedrops on Vive Pro 2+ RTX 4090.

Aleksandr_V

So, I tried to download this newest beta Vive Console 2.1.23.1

Then I changed resolution in console to Extreme 4896x2448 120Hz and even in Vive room - snow wooden hut - the walls rippled like in Matrix as I looked up and down. Uff.

So I changed to Ultra - 4896x2448 x 90Hz and walls - OK!

So I have just tried Audioshield on Insane mode (special mode - very fast - not in basic game) and it was OK!!! SUPER.

In this fast mode I had to play only at 2448x1224x120 to have it "OK" on previous Beta Console.

So some improvement. Maybe they did not even know they repaired something for Nvidia owners but they did support for AMD 7000 and it works like improvent also for our 4090.

So pls 120Hz now :). 

You can try another games pls. I can not try nothing else today and will be back on Sunday.

So, I tried to download this newest beta Vive Console 2.1.23.1

Then I changed resolution in console to Extreme 4896x2448 120Hz and even in Vive room - snow wooden hut - the walls rippled like in Matrix as I looked up and down. Uff.

So I changed to Ultra - 4896x2448 x 90Hz and walls - OK!

So I have just tried Audioshield on Insane mode (special mode - very fast - not in basic game) and it was OK!!! SUPER.

In this fast mode I had to play only at 2448x1224x120 to have it "OK" on previous Beta Console.

So some improvement. Maybe they did not even know they repaired something for Nvidia owners but they did support for AMD 7000 and it works like improvent also for our 4090.

So pls 120Hz now :). 

You can try another games pls. I can not try nothing else today and will be back on Sunday.

• Thanks 1

I just ended up buying a quest 2 and am using airlink to play VR now. This is... really abhorrent honestly. The amount of money I spent on the vive pro 2 only for it to become a literal brick is infuriating. I'm past my refund window by far.

For anyone looking to buy a vive pro 2 and use a 4000 series with it, DON'T. It's not a playable experience due to frame drops, latency, and artifacting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BVV.Fr said:

Do Vive Pro 2 and 4090 work well in 90Hz or did I misunderstand? Does it only work at 120Hz?

Yes, the vive pro 2 works much better in 90hz than 120hz (which is broken) on a 4090. That said, Im not really sure if/what issues exist in 90hz still.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 12:06 AM, AELM said:

*******POSSIBLE TEMPORARY FIX********

DISABLE DIRECT DISPLAY in steam - I've been having the weird headset lag, about 300-400ms lag between headset movements and tracking.  All stats are in the green, but that still happens.
With steam direct display enabled (the normal way) I have this problem.  With direct display disabled, it goes away COMPLETELY.  You have to get it to treat your headset as a monitor, and then open steam vr and play like normal.  THIS CAN BREAK SOME GAMES as steamVR doesn't like non-direct display very much.  A lot of games can cause it to go funny until you click on the screen in steam vr with your mouse. Good luck everyone.

@Exavolt give this a shot let me know if it works.

Nope, I'm still getting unacceptable frame drops consistently with my 4080 on my Vive Pro 1, tried the direct display disable method already so yeah... Support is yet to give me an answer, and running it on my 3060ti, RX6950XT, and the integrated graphics on my R9 7900x none of them have this issue, only the 4080. I keep telling support this in emails but they keep insisting it's an issue on my end and that the Vive Pro 1 isn't affected by this issue (it obviously is)

6 hours ago, Jaw_B said:

Yes, the vive pro 2 works much better in 90hz than 120hz (which is broken) on a 4090. That said, Im not really sure if/what issues exist in 90hz still.

You're not having issues? I still get stuttering, hitching, latency and the occasional banding on the latest main branch of the vive console at 90hz lowest possible ss on a 4090 / 13900k. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Exavolt said:

Nope, I'm still getting unacceptable frame drops consistently with my 4080 on my Vive Pro 1, tried the direct display disable method already so yeah... Support is yet to give me an answer, and running it on my 3060ti, RX6950XT, and the integrated graphics on my R9 7900x none of them have this issue, only the 4080. I keep telling support this in emails but they keep insisting it's an issue on my end and that the Vive Pro 1 isn't affected by this issue (it obviously is)

@Exavolt were you only having framedrop issues with the pro 1, or were you having the 200-300ms headset tracking delay as well?  The DD thing only fixes the delay from what I can tell, I don't know what to do about anything else. 

Can someone please update me with the status of Vive Pro 2 atm with 40x0 series GPU? 

From what I've read above, it seems 120hz is broken, but 90hz is ok? Can anyone confirm it would be ok to go with 4080/4090 at 90hz?

Thanks in advance.

24 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Can someone please update me with the status of Vive Pro 2 atm with 40x0 series GPU? 

From what I've read above, it seems 120hz is broken, but 90hz is ok? Can anyone confirm it would be ok to go with 4080/4090 at 90hz?

Thanks in advance.

4070 Ti here and for me it just does not work even at 90hz.
I start games like Alyx, it works fine for a minute or so, then it completely tears and the game freezes.

An update from HTC  would be really great at this point.
Is this being worked on or what? A yes or now would suffice.
At this point I just want to know if my device will work, eventually, in the future, or if I simply have a 1500€ brick on my table and should move on with my life.