Nvidia has changed the render pipeline. Framedrops on Vive Pro 2+ RTX 4090.

Aleksandr_V

Customer Support closed my ticket because they consider switching to the Ultra setting a viable solution.

I have been using my RTX 4090 and HTC Vive Pro 2 with Automobilista 2. Extreme setting has screen ripping along the top of the screen. The extent of the ripping depends on resolution per eye but it is always present. Using Ultra, I was able to target 3228X3228 per eye with a reprojection ratio ~1%. Most settings are turned on Ultra. This was a few weeks ago. Now for some reason, I can only achieve a reprojection ration of ~1% at 3020X3020 per eye with settings turned down. Is anyone else experiencing worse performance week over week? 

If this issue is solved, do we suspect it will help unlock performance on each setting not just the 120hz modes and not just correct the screen tearing? Are there less noticable bugs holding back performance?

On Extreme, I can maintain a ~1% reprojection ratio at 2480x24080 per eye. Currently, the increase in super sample resolution in Ultra mode is worth it for me to stick at 90hz anyways. I can't help but wonder whether I should be seeing even better performance in each of the modes though.

Edited by muldoom

11 hours ago, muldoom said:

Customer Support closed my ticket because they consider switching to the Ultra setting a viable solution.

Are you serious? I guess we no longer have a 120hz headset...

On the topic of performance, I agree. I also wonder if VR (using the pro2 headset) is getting more demanding. I dont remember any issues on my 3090, as I always ran it on Ultra/120hz. But even in SteamVR home@90hz@3k/eye Im getting 70% GPU usage now. Considering I now have a 4090 vs 3090, and how much faster it is, it would mean that I could not even run SteamVR home with my current settings on my old GPU. But I did. With higher settings. So something is going on?

I also informed Inet.se which is one of the biggest hw retailers in sweden that they need to notify potiential customers that the vive pro 2 is not compatible with the RTX4xxx series.

11 hours ago, muldoom said:

Obviously on this post we see that some people who have problems with the 4090 and the vive pro 2, but is it for everyone this problem? or is it a minority? you know people for whom it works perfectly?

be sure to check third-party software, such as fpsvr, msi afterburner, etc.

I'm still waiting for confirmation to buy a 4090 😇

Hey just wanted to provide an update since i have been experimenting with this alot:

I was able to get this issue to happen with my vive pro >>>>1<<<< and 4090 now.

Prior to this, i had always used the pro 2 wired and the pro 1 wireless... but when switching to pro 1 wired, the same stutters every 5 second and laggy tracking starts happening.

The first time i loaded in with the pro 1, motion smoothing was on as well,  and this made everything 10x worse..

After turning it off and then restarting steamvr, its back to the standard 5 second stutter and laggy tracking. 

But its rather interesting... the pro 1 doesn't have the same DSC limitations as the pro 2, so must be something else with the vive driver causing the issue for 4090? 

Also interesting that wireless doesnt have the issue.. I would wager that wireless also doesnt have the issue for pro 2 as well.. will need to try this next. 

Edited by VSK

Find it intresting that some have huge lag/latency/stuttering issues even in 90hz. Cant say its something I notice myself(?). Is it possible to measure? I do get the occational "pink line" but nothing dealbreaking.  I have resolution set to ~3x3k per eye, and HAGS off. (that removed alot the the stuttering for me) 120hz however Is something else completely. I get bad tearing (that comes and goes)

What settings/drivers do you use? Im on a Strix4090 and latest (non-beta) nvidia and viveconsole (from steam).

Bonjour,

J'ai upgrade ma RTX 3090 vers une 4090 et j'ai eu des lags et une latence importante avec mon Vive Pro. Je suis revendeur informatique et j'ai testé plusieurs carte RTX 40xx avec le même résultat. 

J'ai identifié les logiciels ICue de Corsair, Asus Aura et CoolerMaster Master+ comme étant responsable des lags. Pour la latence j'ai suivi ceci

J'ai pu supprimer la latence en augmentant le sync_photon de 7ms en appuyant 7 fois dans le Debug Command de SteamVR. Cette valeur peux changer suivant votre config.

Il faut cependant le faire à chaque démarrage de steamv.

Pour les sursaut d'images ou stutters, fermez vos services de surveillance ou RGB/ARGB un par un via le services.msc pour voir lesquels les provoquent et supprimez les.

J'espère que ça aidera. Bon jeu.

Fred Blanchard (EvoPC)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Translated:

Good morning,

I upgraded my RTX 3090 to a 4090 and I had significant lag and latency with my Vive Pro. I am a computer dealer and I tested several RTX 40xx cards with the same result.

I identified ICue software from Corsair, Asus Aura and CoolerMaster Master+ as being responsible for the lags. For latency I followed this:

I was able to remove latency by increasing the sync_photon by 7ms by pressing 7 times in SteamVR's Debug Command. This value can change according to your config.

However, it must be done each time you start steamv.

For jitters or stutters, close your monitor or RGB/ARGB services one by one via services.msc to see which ones are causing them and delete them.

I hope that will help. Good game.

Fred Blanchard (EvoPC)

Edited by VSK