Nvidia has changed the render pipeline. Framedrops on Vive Pro 2+ RTX 4090.

Aleksandr_V

More precisely:

150% is, I guess, your global multiplier but the "Beat Saber" multiplier in SteamVR video settings is automatically set (for this game) to 11%, a very low value. I tried at 150% (global) with the default in-game multiplier (11%) and the final resolution is around 2600x2600 per eye with a frametime around 8ms (between 7 and 9). In that case, I confirm it is playable with no reprojection.

But if you increase the in-game multiplier in order to reach a resolution of 3100x3100, you will get a frametime around 20ms with permanent reprojection. 

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Aragorn 76

2 hours ago, Aragorn 76 said:

More precisely:

150% is, I guess, your global multiplier but the "Beat Saber" multiplier in SteamVR video settings is automatically set (for this game) to 11%, a very low value. I tried at 150% (global) with the default in-game multiplier (11%) and the final resolution is around 2600x2600 per eye with a frametime around 8ms (between 7 and 9). In that case, I confirm it is playable with no reprojection.

But if you increase the in-game multiplier in order to reach a resolution of 3100x3100, you will get a frametime around 20ms with permanent reprojection. 

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I have mine in game multiplier at 150% as well running around 6300x6300. 

I'm finding other threads on different forums about people having similar issues with their 4090's in VR but it doesn't seem like anyone has any real answer to the crummy performance we're all seeing.  Does anyone know if NVIDIA or Vive are aware any of this is happening?  I reported an issue and got a very generic response from Vive to follow a bunch of steps that just glancing at them all seem like a total waste of time.  I've reinstalled windows on a fresh SSD, new drivers and everything updated and the issues still persist.  For the premium of this dang card I feel like someone should at least be acknowledging the issue.  I got this thing specifically to improve VR performance and all it's done for me is cause problem after problem after problem. 

@C.T.

Could you give us more information ? Your hardware ? Which Windows version ? Any special setting ?

Mine is brand new and I completely reinitialized W11.

I tested

- Game mode on/off

- HAGS on/off

- uninstalled iCue/MSI center

At the end, I still have a lot of reprojection (20%) in Beat Saber at 3k x 3k (90Hz) and framedrops. Similar problems with Arizona Sunshine, Space Pirate Trainer. Some other games run normally (despite framedrops from time to time) such as Moss II or Skyrim VR.

Many of us have this problem with a lot of headsets:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/yoc9ia/8kx_upgraded_to_rtx_4090_from_3090_weird_lag/

RTX 4090: Latency / Lag Issue, Multiple HMD's Affected : SteamVR (reddit.com)

Some extra tests today.

In Beat Saber, I modified the settings of the game : scale 1.0 and "multi sample antialiasing (MSAA) off. With these settings, reprojections disappear and I can reach a very high resolution of 6k x 6k per eye with a very low frametime (around 1.5 ms).

I tried to push MSAA to x2 and this is still ok but reprojection appears beyond that (x4, x8). Of course, MSAA is useless at this high resolution. I think this is the same problem with Space Pirate Trainer and maybe Arizona Sunshine.

However, as mentionned by Aleksander on this thread, you can still see micro-stuttering when cubes are close to me. FPSVR does not detect anything (no reprojection, no framedrop apparentely) but these micro-stutters are there.

Tonight update: 3200 x 3200, 90Hz.

No problem with Google Earth VR or Vanishing Realms (despite some strange frame drops and micro-stutters from time to time)..

A lot of reprojection and stuttering in Arizona Sunshine, even with default settings. For me, it's unplayable.

Same with the demo "The Blue", Whale Encounter. It switches to 60 FPS (40% reprojection) !

Unfortunately, Space Pirate training generates a lot of reprojection and micro-stutters (very visible on hands) with MSAA off ! 

I'm having the same issue with a 4090 and a i9 13900k on vive pro 2, win 11. 90hz, 120hz doesn't matter. Steam VR home shows dropped frames when moving my head. Changing my super sampling does not appear to take effect. I've closed out of all background applications.

So what is the official response here? HTC still investigating? @C.T. 120hz still gives massive reprojection (and very noticable stuttering on objects). We hoping for a fix from nvidia or HTC? Any more information we, as users, can provide?

@JackripHave you turned off HAGS, any RGB (on gpu/motherboard), and monitoring software? In 90hz you shouldnt be getting framedrops anymore?

On 11/20/2022 at 11:28 PM, Aragorn 76 said:

@C.T.

Could you give us more information ? Your hardware ? Which Windows version ? Any special setting ?

Mine is brand new and I completely reinitialized W11.

I tested

- Game mode on/off

- HAGS on/off

- uninstalled iCue/MSI center

At the end, I still have a lot of reprojection (20%) in Beat Saber at 3k x 3k (90Hz) and framedrops. Similar problems with Arizona Sunshine, Space Pirate Trainer. Some other games run normally (despite framedrops from time to time) such as Moss II or Skyrim VR.

Many of us have this problem with a lot of headsets:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/yoc9ia/8kx_upgraded_to_rtx_4090_from_3090_weird_lag/

RTX 4090: Latency / Lag Issue, Multiple HMD's Affected : SteamVR (reddit.com)

@Aragorn 76

The game mode/HAGS/MSI are all off from my side.
I'm running i9-9900/4090 FE/32Gram/W10,22H2.

@Jaw_B

We have ongoing discussion with NVIDIA at the moment, seeking ways to resolve the issues you guys met. So any information provided can help us replicate the symptom on both sides to speed up the investigation. Thanks