Glasses mode with PCVR Wired Streaming?

Tausendberg

22 hours ago, Tausendberg said:

Something I haven't gotten a straight answer to, when in glasses mode, can I just connect the headset straight to the PC via USB-C and the headset will be powered by the PC or do I really need a battery?

To provide power in glasses mode I use an External battery pack.  I have tried 2 that seem to work ok; the Vive 21w 10000mahr pack I bought previously from Vive and a Romoss 30w 10000mahr pack I recently got from Amazon.  Both seem to work well.  Maybe the 30w pack gives a bit longer runtimes (~3.5 hours).  The ser guides say you can use a 30w wall charger but I haven't tried this yet.  No PC usb port that I'm aware of is going to supply enough power imho.

Also, for PCVR in glasses mode, you can only do this wireless, not wired with a usb3 link cable.  Works pretty well for wireless PCVR with an external battery pack. 

Keep in mind you can also use your headset battery as an external battery, and in that case you can connect it to your PC with a link cable attached to it.  Just kinda hard to find a place to put it, lol!

13 minutes ago, Tausendberg said:

"Only if your port supports PD or 30W and up outputs. "

Good to know! I'll look for a USB-C hub that has 30W+

Look all you want but I don't think you'll find any usb-C hub that will do this.  I you find one please let us know.  Thanks mate.

1 hour ago, TomCgcmfc said:

To provide power in glasses mode I use an External battery pack.  I have tried 2 that seem to work ok; the Vive 21w 10000mahr pack I bought previously from Vive and a Romoss 30w 10000mahr pack I recently got from Amazon.  Both seem to work well.  Maybe the 30w pack gives a bit longer runtimes (~3.5 hours).  The ser guides say you can use a 30w wall charger but I haven't tried this yet.  No PC usb port that I'm aware of is going to supply enough power imho.

Also, for PCVR in glasses mode, you can only do this wireless, not wired with a usb3 link cable.  Works pretty well for wireless PCVR with an external battery pack. 

Keep in mind you can also use your headset battery as an external battery, and in that case you can connect it to your PC with a link cable attached to it.  Just kinda hard to find a place to put it, lol!

NV Virtual-Link does 🙂 and I think some of the TB ports on Laptop also can provide enough power.
I can't recommend using glasses mode under power, unknown issues could happen. 

48 minutes ago, C.T. said:

NV Virtual-Link does 🙂 and I think some of the TB ports on Laptop also can provide enough power.
I can't recommend using glasses mode under power, unknown issues could happen. 

Well maybe you should try this out for yourself mate.  I have tried this with a z790 mb and there is no way to fully power a XR Elite from any usb port.

Well, if I get an XR Elite, I will definitely attempt to make it work because in my opinion, the ideal use case for glasses mode is sitting down PCVR, you're not moving around as much so you don't need that extreme security and it's just easier to put on and wear. We'll see, I don't even possess an XR Elite yet, I just wanted to know what the options were.

C.T., just a thought but maybe HTC could sell a powered USB-C hub as an accessory, I'm sure people who like Glasses mode would all buy it. 

Unfortunately, I sold my last video card that had the USB-C port. 

12 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Look all you want but I don't think you'll find any usb-C hub that will do this.  I you find one please let us know.  Thanks mate.

Hubs are unlikely to work because very few (if any) have a detachable USB cable. It's rare you'll find any dock with a cable longer than about 1 meter (and even that is uncommon). Your best bet is probably a PCI-E powered TB4 card such as this Asus model, which offers 100 watt charging. It only works on Asus motherboards, though. There might be some vendor specific alternatives available. The latest generation of AMD cards also offer USB-C, which might be powerful enough, but I haven't found much about what its specs are online.

I think in general it's kind of moot though, because you can get just about the same experience with a Wifi 6E router and a powerbank.