flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

I agree @KingRangnar, not only I support HTC for all those reasons but also because it has not followed a policy of exclusive launches. I think it shows an intention of competition with quality and not market agreements excluding users.  I have not lost my faith yet, I have just bought €200 more in VR titles in summer sale.

I think If HTC would think we are only 50 people, the easiest way would be replacing our headsets. I know a couple of guys whose headsets were replaced, HTC service was excellent, but problem was not solved. So I am sure they may be starting to worry before this becomes a snowball. Any action now will take consecuences in future business (in one way or another). Anyway, this is difficult to diagnose, as there are other reasons for this kind of failure (i.e. ASMEDIA USB drivers which are common in ASUS motherboards). Last year this was the main cause for these problems. 

I wish this will get soon diagnosed and solved, and it would be a kind detail to offer us "sufferers" who keep loyal an interesting discount in next generation headsets ;-) or even giving us free beta testing prototypes :-) (Kindly write it down, HTC :-) )

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The unfortunate part is trouble shooting ANYTHING on a PC is a pain in the butt due to PC's having so many combinations of hardware.... in example..... so many different models of motherboards for various kinds of processors (Intel vs AMD), driver software, some of it is well written, some not so good. Then there's video cards, be them Nvidia based or AMD and in some cases Intel, the various chipsets on those cards, the drivers for those cards and so on.

Then there's the VR software itself, VivePort, Oculus Home and SteamVR. Often some of these can be the problems. Personally, I don't run Oculus home all the time (I have it turned off unless I want to run it), and I un-installed VivePort (Due to really not liking that software) so all I have left is SteamVR and I have very few issues with my Vive, the odd time, when I start SteamVR, the base stations will be greyed out, I just reboot the computer and everything is fine after that.

The other thing is everyone's PC is differently setup, USB ports should have the power management feature turned off, works fine on USB 2 instead of USB 3. Background software should be kept to a minimum and some of it is so badly written that it will cause problems with the Vive (Asus Ai Suite comes to mind). So bad enough trying to figure out the problem with just the hardware aspect of a given computer, it's also trying to figure out how the operating system is setup and laid out with various drivers and software running in the background.

Also there's setting in SteamVR that can cause issues, I have that bluetooth stuff for putting the lighthouses to sleep turned off, I noticed that this feature was very inconsistent depending on the version of SteamVR. So I manually turn everything off when not in use. Also, the room the Vive is being used in can be a problem too, the shape and how well the lighthouses are alligned in that room can affect tracking.

Just something to keep in mind. Luckily, I'm one of the people not having problems with my Vive, but then I setup that computer to favor the Vive more than any other use.

I hope you guys with the grey screens get your solution soon, I know it would drive me nuts if it were to happen to me.

Regards: Jack

, I don't think they take us lightly. I was in commercial software development for many years and also got to do some programming for new hardware. If I had 50 / 800,000 having the same new problem and didn't have a clue what was causing it, I would be praying that 50 didn't become 1000, then 10,000, etc. because at that point you simply don't know. It is as likely to increase as to disappear the same way it appeared. In fact, it can bemuch worse when a problem goes away without an explanation because it could come back any time.

- I love the way you think! I'm not holding my breath though. I'd be happy just to get a fix, let alone the "pain and suffering" compensation! Ha Ha. I have an ASUS mobo, but I don't use the USB ports on the board, I bought one of the recommended cards because I had such a hard time initially getting Vive to work. Windows 7 was a bear. A bear that killed me. I ended up going to Win 10 where Vive installed great, just some of my other stuff had some hiccups. Oh yeah, I also took advantage of the summer sale to demonstrate my confidence in the platform.

Tryed with beta steam, but all the same, after sensors temperature became 40-41, the problem appeared.

This situation so sad, my Vive so expensive and so useless. HTC , tell please, is this a warranty case? will the new Helmet solve this problem?

Hello Everyone:

I have the same issues that u have, 
1.- Loss of tracking in my case starts after 10-30min. First few jumpes if I turn in a specific direction, after next 10-40min it is completely unplayable.

2.- I was playing fine 3 months later in my same setup, i contact chat support and they tell me that it was a reflective area, so i change my room, but the problem continues.

3.- i have an i5 2400, so when they connect to remote desktop, they told me that my problem was the proccesor, is not the minimun specs, but i wasnt having any issue. i know that it isnt that. i was thinking about heating problems, maybe the cpu was overheating in idle was around 60c to 80c when it was working, so i bought a water cooling for the cpu, now it has 40c in idle and 60c working.  but the blinking on the vive continues, so it isnt the cpu or gpu heat.

4.- Same as other cases: usually more than 33c conditions, faceplate is very warm and if you cover some sensors in this area, "flashing" mostly stops(for a while). You can cover some sensors that are responsible for errors(?), but more of them start to fail with time.

5.- so i bought some ac for the room this weekend and i install them, and my blinking gray screen was gone. i play like 5 hours, and didnt cover the knobs for the door, my lcd screens without a problem.

as someone told, when heat increase in the room, the ir sensors are making weird things, i hope HTC give us some the new prototype for testing at this temperatures without ac condition.

my setup is i5 2400 with H60 water cooling, 8gb ram ddr3, ssd samsung evo 256gb, 1080 asus strix gtx, im connecting via hdmi to the link box for htc i have triple monitor setup, but when playing vive, i disable 2 monitors. the ambient temperature outside is 40c

i forgot to mention, this weekend nvidia drivers update automaticaly, so i dont know if the ac was the solution, or it was the drivers

any questions ?