flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

I agree with VibrantNebula.

Maybe this is a combination of variables and heat is related, as well as many other factors, like base stations alignment. I have very accurately aligned the base stations and now the problem takes longer to appear and it takes longer to make the thing unusable but in the end, it happens.

I have been thinking about heat as as IR light is the hottest. Maybe sensitivity of IR sensors decreases with heat. The whole set or IR rays may also be a bit blurred in the room (just brainstorming, I don't really think so very seriously, if so any IR controller would have the same problem). Whatever, maybe ALSO in recent steamVR versions, data provided by sensors is differently processed, so any error is "amplified" or it needs more information trying to be more accurate...

What is a fact is that I had no problem last summer.

I'm going to experiment and get a mini USB fan to plug it in the free USB slot in the headset and point it at the headset itself. I will share my results...

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for brainstorming. We might get lucky & I'll take a solution any way I can get it.

Do we care about the ambient temp in the room? i.e. this time of year it is probably anywhere from high 70s F to mid 80s F in my room. But what about the IR? Would there still be abunch of IR coming off the hot aluminum sided walls sitting in the sun, eventhough the rest of the room is full of air conditioned air? Note: today it was raining all day and very little sunshine and I still had he problem.

I had myself convinced for about ten minutes today that the problem went away if I turned the HMD upside down. I'd be interested to hear if this works for others. 

Oh yeah, I'm a big fat guy with long hair so a lot of times the HMD is pretty hot by the time I give up and sometimes I even have to pause and wipe out my eyes with a paper towel in mid-game.

There can be other times when I will do 30-40 minutes in Audioshield and not have a bit of problem with the whiteouts.

I don't think, that this problem connect with heating, because it's happening even when it's not very hot in my room. More over, it's happening sometimes when I play for 15 min and sometimes when I play for 40 min in the same games. Nothing change around me in that moment. So it doesn't connect with heating, it doesn't connect with environment, it doesn't connect with base stations (because the controllers work fine). I found a video with fix solution of this problem, but now I can't try it. Please, anyone, try this method and write here.

more over, why some times they don't impact for 1 or 2 hours before the flashing. I think everyone, who has this problem, face it only after several days, weeks or even months of using Vive and nothing was changing on environment. It's very interesting case. By the way, some people in the internet wrote, that after they made more strong cooler system for they cpu, the problem was solved. But I don't know, how the CPU's temperature can connect with this problem.

I suspect several reasons. But more inclined to the version of Vildan.
(sorry, next text is translete by google)

I was able to reduce the volume of flashes by closing the reflecting and chrome surfaces. But if I turn off the headset for the whole night and turn it on in the morning, I will not cover the reflective and chrome surfaces - I can play 30-60 minutes without the problems of gray flashes. This is a fact that speaks of overheating.
My friend bought 2 pieces One in Russia and another in Germany. The German copy works fine for long hours. He changed only the headset to the one bought in Russia, without changing lihthouses stations and environments, and after half an hour he got a flashing gray screen. He put a damp cold rag on the headset and this relieved for 10 minutes from the gray screen.

Bad news, I tried all of that before starting writing here.

wrote:

I don't think, that this problem connect with heating, because it's happening even when it's not very hot in my room. More over, it's happening sometimes when I play for 15 min and sometimes when I play for 40 min in the same games. Nothing change around me in that moment. So it doesn't connect with heating, it doesn't connect with environment, it doesn't connect with base stations (because the controllers work fine). I found a video with fix solution of this problem, but now I can't try it. Please, anyone, try this method and write here.

So I though't I'd try to reproduce the issue today, and time exactly how long it takes and see if restarting the computer or steam vr has any effect, as well as unplugging the headset completely.

Just to see what kinds if things might affect it.

But after 2 hours there hasn't been any issue, and it's not much cooler in the room (and to be honest I wouldn't expect the ambient temperature to have much effect anyway).

I've found a couple of other instances of people experiencing similar issues, but they've had their Vives for a while.

If there was an issue with overheating I'd expect it to be consistent, repeatable, and not start/stop happening at random.

I'll keep track of things when it happens again, but it seems like a bit of a head scratcher.

What would be nice is a method of reliably reproducing the issue.

I made a test. Firstly I started play in game (battle dome) before game temperature of front panel Vive (around the camera) was 28-32 Co, after 15 min it became 38-41, in that moment the flashing started. Then, I left Vive (without turning it off) close to cold accumulator for 30 min. After that the temperature was 23-26. I played the same game for 30 min (a little bit more, than last time, because the start temperature was lower) and flashing came back. I checked the temperature of the front panel, it was 38-41. So, I think, it's spoilage.