flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

wrote:

But after 2 hours there hasn't been any issue, ...

Sorry, I just have to laugh that when you try to do it intentionally it won't happen. 

Last night I threw sheets over the plastic floor mats in my office (the kind so your chair will roll on carpet) trying to reduce reflections. At fist I though it helped but after 40 - 60 min I was right back in the whiteout.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching a few YouTube videos, seems often enough when the gray out or black out problem occurs, it's the 3 in one cable that is at fault. Best thing to try is to connect your Vive straight to the video card with the cables that go between the computer and link box and see if that cures the problem. I've seen videos where the problem was the USB and others being the HDMI connectors at the headset would fail to make proper connections or had a possible broken wire at the plug. Worth a try since if this is the problem, all that would be needed would be a new 3 in one cable.

Regards: Jack

wrote:

After watching a few YouTube videos, seems often enough when the gray out or black out problem occurs, it's the 3 in one cable that is at fault. Best thing to try is to connect your Vive straight to the video card with the cables that go between the computer and link box and see if that cures the problem. I've seen videos where the problem was the USB and others being the HDMI connectors at the headset would fail to make proper connections or had a possible broken wire at the plug. Worth a try since if this is the problem, all that would be needed would be a new 3 in one cable.

Did that solve the problem for you? How long had you had your Vive when the problem started and about when did it start? New cable solved it for you?

The first time I recall having the problem was just after I joined the Vive subscription which was 4/30, then based on my work schedule, it was probably around 5/10 when I was trying out the games. I remember it was "Firebird - La Peri" I was watching when it carped out on me the first time.

Anybody else able to I dentify when the problem started? I'm wondering if and what software was changed about that time, perhaps some fixes that introduced other subtle problems that we are all experiencing. 

Thanks for everybody's help.

I'm not having problems, I just thought I would point out another option for those who are. Mine is actually working quite well, I do NOT have the VivePort software installed and I don't have the Oculus Home background tasks running unless I fire them up manually. This leaves only SteamVR and I've had times where my base stations showed up as being greyed out in SteamVR, so I just reboot the computer and try again and it works then. Something tells me VR software (SteamVR, VivePort and Oculus Home) have a lot of maturing to do before they become reliable.

Yesterday, i have changed steamVR version to BETA. When i was tasting for about 2 hours i didn't keep gray screen, but it not enought time that make statement. Soon i gonna tasting more time and tell you.

Hmm, very interesting version. Two hours it's very good result :) I have only 30 min max without this problem. I installed only steam and Vive port and home. I'm trying uninstall all, except steam today.