flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

I know this post is oldish but I'll share my 2 cents anyway.

Mine was working fine for a long time and then I brought it into work for a little VR party. Then the grey flashing screen started once I set it back up at home. Take a little while for it to start but then progressively gets worse. I thought maybe it's because I've start playing a sit down game (Elite Dangerous) where as I used to only be playing room scale games. So I tried pointing the sensors a bit more towards me because they are both a bit behind me. Didn't help.

I was playing without a headphones one time and I notice the grey flashing got really bad when I heard the fridge kick it cooling up a notch (or maybe it was the aircon, can't remember). So maybe it has something to do with power interference. I'm going to trying running the power cables away from any other cable so they're not overlapping and have them in their own powerpoint so they're not sharing power with any other appliances. Hopefully that shows some improvements.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trentis, we had a guy somewhere along the way who suspected running his base stations on a UPS aggravated the problem. So you're not the first to question power. Keep us posted. Have you tried the workaround of taping over the one sensor on the HMD? That has been working for me for a long time on two HMDs.

Hi, i have the same problem with my headset and do believe it is heat related as it has been a lot worse during our summer months here in Australia. It looks like you are getting little help from HTC so i will try your fix using the tape tonight and see how i go.

Trev 

Hello everybody,

I want to add myself to the list of impacted users.  I live in Hawaii and for me the problem is as simple as follows:  When the temperature is above 79 degrees the device grays out after 20 minutes, and when it is in the low 70s I can play for as long as I want to.  Wondering if the new headset will have the same problems?

Still getting this issue.. about to send it in soon for a repair.

100% is the front facing sensor on my bottom right side of the HMD. I have put a small sticker that won't leave any permanent marks over the 'problem sensor' and my grey screen issue goes away. Without the sensor covered, it won't let me play more than 10-20 minutes. 

Anyone have luck sending theirs in without any issues?

I sent mine to repair center 2 times for the flashing grey screen problem. The first time it was sent me back after a couple of weeks with a simple "re-flash ROM image" and obviously the problem was still present. The second time was over a month and a half and the repair report still indicated "Re-Flash ROM image". Obviously I have repeatedly explained in detail to the assistance what the problem was and how to detect it. I am very disappointed.
I will reserve to post a more detailed report in the future if someone will be interested...

When I cover the sensor the problem seems to vanish, but the feeling is that the tracking is slightly less stable (other sensors may also be involved when the temperature increases further). It's winter now where I live, so to bring out the problem I have to artificially raise the ambient temperature, but I'm sure that in 2 or 3 months it will become very difficult for me to use this headset. Anyway, in my opinion, covering the sensor can be seen as a temporary solution and a definitive solution should come from the HTC technical staff. It seems very strange that after almost a year there is still no solution to the problem...

Having the same problem, tried a bunch of different fixes. What finally worked was turning on the over head fan where I stand with the headset. Went from 20-30 mins in steadily increasing grey flashes. To constant grey screen and turning the fan on and no problems at all. Like the temp tolerance is 1 degree. Not knowing this on my first headset I burned out the front sensor, smelled the burning and it wouldn’t track at all. Sent it in for repairs and still haven’t gotten it back 4 months later. They stopped replying to emails and all hope is lost on getting it back.