flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

Mine is 2016/09. I don't think there is anything special to add. It seems that all the guys here with the same problem, described already everything. So ... tha ball is in you HTC.  Please try to solve this quickly. I imagine you should have already escalated the problem loud enough, and a lot of tech guys are trying to solve it. At least that's what I hope :D 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi back after a day of testing.

I got access to an empty flat, I ordered construction poles and photography mounts and set out to create the optimal play area. It was also noticably cooler today (25 degreescelsius).

At the new location everything worked without a problem for several hours(around 5 hours). So I came home and modified my setup.

I changed the base station locations and used the same mounting poles to get them near the ceiling looking down. I used different corners in the room to get around any outside interference.

At first everything seemed fine than some grey screen appeared but way less then before and not at all in games that use room scale or standing.

Then I switched my office chair (with metal parts) for a diferrent one (only made out of plastics) and suddelyall greyscreens disappeared.

I only have 1 little problem left. every minute or so there is a very small wobble noticable on menu screens in VR (it could be an unrelated think will have to kepp an eye on it). It is possible that the temeprature change played a part in all ofthis but I really dont know for sure.

Before I had the same flashing greyscreen that gor worse over time, and covereing those to sensors did help. For now itsworkinghere, but Ill keep aneye on it.

I have a veryfar fetched theory about a possible cause based on an error I had with a simulation software I was working on some years ago: Maybe heat , interference and other outside factors cause a very small inaccuracy in the reported values of theaffected sensora that add up over time and cause a worsening effect that way, and covering them up resets them becuase they are shortly blinded but the other sensors keep adding up the same positional mistakes until tracking is lost again ( I hope I am clear enough english is not my first language). If something like this is true than the error caused byheat is not real damage just an unexpected calculation error and could be fixed by software.

Hi all, thanks for the information! Keep it coming in, please!!! Is anybody whose experiencing this issues on a setup with an AMD graphics card or are they all Nvidia cards? I can't seem to find any reports of this happening on AMD cards and have seen a few loose threads out there saying that downgrading the Nvidia driver helped certain users facing similar issues. 

Well, dawg gone it, my party's over.

I was successful last night attending theWaveVR party and got a couple good, immersive hours in without grey-screen interruption and left of my choosing rather than being forced out by a grey-out. Coupling that with the previous 24 hours of relative success, which I was attributing to the SteamVR client beta code, this morning I decided to put my base station back to its original location where it worked well almost 5 months.

It didn't immediately mess up but it did. Unfortunately, more than one variable was changed.

It also heated up today, reulting in the AC kicking in and me being a bit hotter headed than the past couple days.

There was also a SteamVR client update installed today. Maybe it negated whatever change I was attributing to the beta code, or maybe I was incorrect.

I had never paid any attention to the HMD temperature prior to today, though I've seen you all posting about it. Is it supposed to be warm to the touch? Mine is. According to my infra-red laser-guided digital thermometer (that sounds funny but it's true) my HMD has a lot of areas over 35ºC. I had about 37.8º right about where my left eye would be, alot of territory around 35º-36º, mainly to the left, the the outskirts of the HMD were more like 27ºC and most of the right side in the 33º - 34º range.

Sometimes it seemed like individual sensors were warmer. I was trying to cover them up when things greyed out. Sometimes it worked, other times not, or maybe I just wasn't messing with the right ones.

In any case, my grey-outs are definitely back.

Oh yeah, my video is a Zotac implementation of a Nvidea GTX 1080.

When a gray screen appears, I cover the TV and the chrome door handles. This removes the gray screen when helmet directions in the corner. But when you look at your feet (the helmet turns straight down) it still flashes in gray. I think like DevilDusk, when the helmet reaches a certain temperature, its sensitivity to signals changes and no significant interference causes the loss of tracking.

My PC: i7 4770, GTX 1080, Win10

views from both lighthouses:

*Objects marked in blue on the pictures were covered while using the Vive

AMNtMri1Z4Q.jpgqPRFEsAtCuQ.jpg

Good idea. I wanted to ask the same.

HTC staff, please, write here links to firmware, steam, steam vr , driver for nvidia. All version of this must be from February or first 10 days of March. As I noticed, before the middle of March all was OK. We will try use this.

Palit  GTX 1080 GameRock. I haven't even bother to try out the HMD in the last 2 days, since it pisses me off :D Thanks to the guys who runs all the tests trying to figure this out. I don't have the time, neither the nerve for it right now :)