How to transfer movie files into standalone XR headset?

FrankElite

Hi everyone,

Firstly apologies as I have zero tech/vr experience and maybe asking basic question..... I would like to know if its possible to do a file transfer from laptop to XR Viveport or any other application to have local content so I can watch my video files as a standalone without need to stream or connect to laptop? 

On 4/12/2023 at 10:32 PM, FrankElite said:

Hi everyone,

Firstly apologies as I have zero tech/vr experience and maybe asking basic question..... I would like to know if its possible to do a file transfer from laptop to XR Viveport or any other application to have local content so I can watch my video files as a standalone without need to stream or connect to laptop? 

Of course you can, please check the article here

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, C.T. said:

Of course you can, please check the article here

This is the opposite of what they are trying to accomplish. They want to transfer files to the headset to watch the movies standalone without a PC.

Unfortunately, I do not think there are native standalone video players available for the headset yet. You can side load and install 2D video players such as VLC onto the headset, but the way 2D Android applications work on the Vive XR is certainly not optimal. 

The headset really needs improvements in running standalone Android applications. Something similar to virtual desktop except using local Android applications and video files is really needed.

10 hours ago, SuperGrover said:

這與他們試圖實現的目標背道而馳。他們想將文件傳輸到耳機,以便在沒有 PC 的情況下獨立觀看電影。

不幸的是,我認為目前還沒有適用於耳機的原生獨立視頻播放器。您可以在耳機上加載和安裝 VLC 等 2D 視頻播放器,但 2D Android 應用程序在 Vive XR 上的工作方式肯定不是最佳的。 

耳機在運行獨立的 Android 應用程序方面確實需要改進。確實需要類似於虛擬桌面的東西,除了使用本地 Android 應用程序和視頻文件。

Skybox may be the most ideal player, but unfortunately there is no

I just wanted to update everyone on some tips on playing videos locally. The Viveport Video app does have a local file option. It isn't as feature rich as Virtual Desktop, which is wonderful but doesn't handle local files, or Skybox VR, which sadly is not available as a stand alone application on the XR. Viveport Video will at least let you repositon a video in the headset and it can handle 3D HSBS encoded files.

To get up and running first you need to connect the XR to a PC and choose file transfer mode on the headset. You can also use various other methods to transfer files, such as a cloud syncing app, but this is the simplest. Copy the video files from the computer to the headset. Then disconnect and go back into the headset and launch Viveport Video. Select Local and you should be able to find your video files. The interface occasionally bogs down and isn't very responsive like Virtual Desktop, but it is serviceable for just watching movies that are stored in the headset.

This is a nice option if you wanted to take a few movies with you to watch on a flight or while laying in bed.

Virtual Desktop can play local video files if you choose to disconnect it from the remote PC! It just doesn't show you an option to browse locally stored videos if a PC connection is established.

Once you transfer a video or movie over to the internal storage of the headset launch virtual desktop. If it has an active connection to a remote PC and you select Videos it will only show you the content on that PC. However, if you go to the Computers menu and choose Disconnect the locally stored videos will show up.