SRanipal 1.3.6.x+ Critical Problems: Unreasonable Log Spam and Lock to Vive Pro headset

kusomaigo

Hello, 

Recent versions of SRanipal (1.3.6.5 onwards, including most recent 1.3.6.11) seem to have an incredible amount of log spam in EyeCameraModule.log when the eyemodule is initialized, spamming the same message "[EyeCameraModule] [202x-xx-xx xx:xx:xx] [LOG] eyefeature switch0" at seemingly 120 times a second. This has led to text log files of many gigabytes of nothing of value in a location most users would never know to check, effectively becoming a (albeit slow) hard drive bomb . SRanipal does not need to log "eyefeature switch0" every frame of the eye tracker. The entirety of SRanipal logs in general could use a rewrite to actually contain useful information but at the very least, please get rid of the eyefeature switch log message from being repeated so frequently.

In addition, SRanipal 1.3.6.10 and onwards will simply hang on initialization, eating up system resources and giving no indication of why its frozen itself, if run without a Vive Pro series headset connected or if not using VBS+Focus3. This feature was seemingly added for no reason other than to spite users of the Vive Facial Tracker who do not use it with a Vive Pro headset. Just like with Vive Trackers, there are many users of the Vive Facial Tracker that use it with other headsets, Vive or not. Please revert this behavior to how it was before. 

Lastly, the bundling of SRanipal exclusively with Vive Console makes very little sense: neither of the two Vive headsets that use Vive Console actually need SRanipal. A Vive Pro Eye user has to install a ~1.6 Gb program they will never run to use their headset's eye tracking feature. A Focus 3 user has to do that too to use their headset's addon features with existing PC apps that use the SRanipal runtime, and I will assume that the XR Elite will also fall victim to this. 

• 4 weeks later...

In addition, SRanipal 1.3.6.10 and onwards will simply hang on initialization, eating up system resources and giving no indication of why its frozen itself, if run without a Vive Pro series headset connected or if not using VBS+Focus3. This feature was seemingly added for no reason other than to spite users of the Vive Facial Tracker who do not use it with a Vive Pro headset. Just like with Vive Trackers, there are many users of the Vive Facial Tracker that use it with other headsets, Vive or not. Please revert this behavior to how it was before. 

Ah, i was looking for an explanation as to why when i upgraded SRanipal it refused to recognize my facial tracker, i need to look for SRanipal version between 1.3.6.6 and 1.3.6.9, any tips as to where i can find an old version?