So is TPCast Dead

The TPCast  seemed to be the number one anticipated accessory a few months back but I have not heard any new info for months.

Is it still in development, is it ever going to become available?

Are there any other options that are in development for a wireless option beside the standalone VR

For me it is still the number one accessory I would like to see to get rid of that awful heavy cable.

I see there is a lighter cable available has anyone  switched their ribbon cable out for this one and does it make a noticeable difference?

I would go for this but if the TPCast is around the corner I will save the 40 bucks and wait 

It's still coming. It takes awhile in the US and many other developed countries for electronics to pass all the inspections, etc.. in order to be allow to be sold in that area.

And if your thinking you'd rather be like the Chinese and forget testing and just have this already, like they do.. then just Google "Chinese elevator accident" or "Chinese Escalator Accident", etc..  After a video or two.. I promise you'll quickly grow patient and be more than willing to wait. 

Having tried a TPCast'ed Vive I can agree with you that wireless VR is something that is worth being excited about but it's something that will need to come with time given the extreme technical hurdles associate with delivering an experience comparable to the user experience that we've grown accustomed to with wired Vives. I can't really speak to TPCast's FCC approval status since they're a 3rd party but I can assure you their solution is not "dead". These things take time and it's good that there are early Chinese users out there who already have their hands on TPCast devices as it allows their engineers to polish and improve their solution. 

Looking at the up-coming wireless headsets I see most of them are head mounted (I actually went to each website) for me a belt unit has to be the way to go if I have an option. I just don't want more piece of hardware on my head even if it does only weigh 8oz

Another issue I see is if it ever becomes available again I was up for the DAS but will a head mounted unit be where the adjustment knob is.?

I reached out to KwicKVR as that seems to be the only belt mounted one out there, all the others are pushing HMD 

Anyway patience is a virtue I have been told

Not to burst your bubble...but...

I think the reason they are all head mounted is that the human body itself can be enough to block a signal, the high speed/short range type needed for wireless VR. 

I suspect the non-head mounted one is targeting 180' VR devices. Since you never turn around.. the signal would never pass through your body.

If it makes you feel any better.. only the light weight receiver needs to be up high.. the heavy batteries are usually on a belt.

I find the newer 3 in 1 cable to be wildly better than the ribbon. For me, this was a huge upgrade and made it a lot easier to wait for wireless. I used the ribbon cable for almost a year before switching over. As excited as I am for wireless VR, it's not as big of a deal now for most games since the new cable isn't as obnoxious.

Well this is due to the wireless connection using the 60GHz band and it needs like a clear line of sight to be optimal, so best placement is on your head apparently.

Other lower frequency solutions at 2.4-5GHz is not that sensitive and can be placed on your hip or in your pocket

Even if those devices "KwikVR / Rivvr" supports both Vive and Rif looks tempting alternatives, they have a higher latency! (Most due to compresson of data needed to send info on a smaller WIFI channel/pipe).

Guess the TPCast do not need same kind of compression as it should be able to use a wider channel for transfering more data in paralell resulting in lower latency.

/J

Archived