Troubleshoot for controller in bootloader mode doesn't work

MediateSprings

I just recently got my Vive, at first both controllers would turn on but wouldmt connect so I updated them and the first one worked but the second disconnected while updating. I charged it overnight to make sure it wasn't just out of power. The power wasn't the problem and after trying the troubleshoot for bootloader mode multiple times nothing has happened and no on screen prompts pop up. If anyone knows anything else to do please help.

Try this:

Unpair all controllers using the SteamVR console

In order to connect and isolate multiple controllers, the system will pair the controllers with a unique identifier and will link this information to the tracking system. When one or both controllers are having pairing issues, releasing these settings will allow you to pair both controllers without interfering registries.

1. On the PC, browse to C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\tools\lighthouse\bin\win32
  2. Run exe
  3. Type unpairall in the console window and then hit enter.
  4. Once finished, the console window will display two identifiers as confirmation.
  5. Close the console and restart SteamVR.
  6. Attempt to pair the controllers again.

Huh. Let's try one more thing and then message me privately on here, we may have to go through RMA on this if it won't power on even when it's fully changed.

Reset the controller

If the controller is not behaving as expected, it’s having pairing issues or it’s having tracking issues, resetting it will update the status of the controller and will allow it to be set up again.

1. Power off the controller.
  2. While holding [Grip] + [Touchpad] + [Menu buttons], plug the controller to the PC via USB.
  3. Continue holding until the PC recognizes the controller as a USB drive (a sound will be made on the computer).
  4. Release the buttons and then unplug the controller.

Thanks,
    -John C

No, you're not a bother. I just want to exhaust our options before I have you send it in. Have you tried updating the firmware again since this happened? If not, follow these steps. If yes, PM me.

Update firmware

The firmware is the software that is written directly on the device, used to monitor, control and manage the operation of the component.  The firmware can be updated to fix factory issues or even add new features to the existent hardware and can be updated for the HMD, Controllers and Base Stations within the Vive environment.

HTC and Steam will release updates to component firmware when necessary, however these are not as frequent as the regular SteamVR/Viveport application updates. When one of the Vive components is having an unexpected behavior, advise the customer to check for firmware updates.

1. Check for firmware updates, by going to SteamVR > Devices > Update firmware.
  2. Follow the prompts on the screen.
    1. If a firmware update is available for the controllers or base stations, the user will be prompted to connect the component to the computer using a micro-USB cable.

Note: DO NOT unplug the micro-USB cable, link box cables or headset cables any time before the firmware update is complete. Doing so could result in a firmware error or total device failure.

• 1 month later...

Archived