Got new basestation & controllers, but now SteamVR room setup doesn't work

I bought an original Vive years ago, but after a lot of use the controller batteries stopped holding a charge and the gyros in one of the basestations started vibrating constantly.  I ordered a pair of certified pre-owned controllers and a basestation, and set them up today.  I plugged everything in and updated all the firmware.  Now the headset, new controllers and both basestations are all showing up as active in the SteamVR status window with no errors.

But when I try running Steam VR room setup, it gets stuck at the "Establish tracking" screen.  It sees the controllers as powered on, but it says "Controller not visible" next to the icon for each one, along with "Headset not visible".  I tried both with the controllers powered on and plugged into the USB cables, and with them powered on but unplugged.  The controller status lights are both green.  I'm able to hear audio through the headset's speakers if I play audio in Windows.  I'm not getting any video in the headset, just a gray screen, but I can't remember if I should see anything at this point, since it's been awhile since I've run room setup.  I've tried unplugging and re-plugging in all the Vive headset cables, but it didn't make a difference.

Any suggestions on getting room setup to work?