How to connect VIVE with 4 base stations

Petrov

You cannot use more than two v1.0 basestations in the same area at the same time due to how their sync system works. Because of this sync system you can also not hybridize 1.0 and 2.0 basestations in the same area - you need to use one or the other and due to the radius of the sync array's flash, if you use a 1.0 setup, you have to physically isolate the tracked volumes. 

I've attached a compatibility chart below that shows the cross-compatibility. Basically, if you want to use a Vive and a Vive Pro in the same tracked volume (aka "co-location") you'll have to use 1.0 basestations to drive both HMDs and you'll be limited to the 5m range posed by those HMDs. You can use 2.0 as it will be invisible to the original Vive and you can't hybridize the systems because the 1.0's sync flash will interfere with 2.0 tracking. 

When troubleshooting poor tracking - the primary culprit is typically reflections. Scan your area for reflections and potentially try using the sync cable (with the basestations set to A and B) to see if that mitigates your problems.

If you want to learn how lighthouse tracking works -

on the matter. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give it a try and I just recived the new Vive pro complete set.

Following your hints I just installed a Htc Vive 1 gen side to side to the new Vive pro: 

2 areas 2 base station each in an open space room.

I found out base station 2.0 were not disturbed at all by 1st gen bases.

On the other side instead I wasn't able to use the first gen headset because of interference

of the newly purchased Base 2.0.

So from my direct experience base stations 2.0 are visible to base station 1.0. 

Well, at the end It looks like I managed to set up in one room 1 Htc Vive 1 gen with usual configuration and the new Htc Vive Pro with both base station on one side with their back to the other headset.

So far both configurations work pretty well with no interference, so basically BASE SATATION 2.0 did the job!

With this configuration I can say the new headset was really worthing the upgrade!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel, 

I am hoping we can connect with you as we are about to package up and send out 6 HTC Vive Pro stations back!  We are also in an edcuational envoronment and having challenges with getting our 6 stations to run consistently. We are in the Bay Area of California; where are you located?  We are using Omen X laptops and the technical difficulties abound.  Our on site technician can't get any phone support and trying to text about a lab environment is painful. Any ieas?  Wondering how you set your lab up? 

Thank you, 

KJ

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Configuring 4 base stations

Step 1: Update firmware and
Before starting configuration, make sure your device firmware and SteamVR are up to date (all necessary drivers are available in the public branch).
SteamVR

Step 2: Set base station channels
Step 3: Calibrate your room

Archived