Will the Vive headset be overkill? And 360 camera

marklennox2

Hi, I run business events and want someone who hasn't been to one to experience them using a VR headset. My question is, will the Vive headset be overkill to view a 360 video? Or is it worth the investment for better quality viewing? Also, if anyone has any experience of filming in 360, what camera would go best with the Vive? 

Thanks very much in advance, 

In the spirit of being honest, a Vive may indeed be overkill for your anticipated uses. There are a number of HMDs which will be better suited for solely showing 360 video that will prove to be far less effort to setup and move around. That said, the Vive is good if you also want to educate potential clients about volumetric VR (as opposed to 360) as much of the general public is unaware that volumetric VR is something consumer available and believe that 360 is the current state of the art. Showing people volumetric VR, especially for the first time, is a powerful way to get people excited about the technology in a way that 360 cannot.

The upcoming Vive standalone will be a fantastic bridge between roomscale VR and mobile VR and will be perfect for these types of applications but is still on the horizon. I'd recommend avoiding buying into the current phone based generation of HMDs as that tech will rapidly be eclipsed in the coming year (unless you happen to want a particular phone). Doubly so if you will have a properly equipped laptop as part of your travel kit. 

I have no advice on the camera side as I am not specializing in 360. 

Archived