Headset not Tracking Issue

SunsetBolt

I just got a Vive two days ago and after finishing all the setup and such, I've been stuck dealing with this issue. The Base Stations have been setup properly (thanks to a model replacement mod in the VR Home that help significantly with aligning the Base Stations) and Room Setup was run to create a play area in the open carpet space in my room. I have to stand in specific spots (mainly crouched directly in front of my desk) to get video to display in the Vive and turning my head to the left or right just drops me back into grayspace. 

Now the part that bothers me the most is that every so often I'll attempt to try it again and it'll have this "moment of clarity" where everything just works. I can walk around my play space, look all around me, and it's perfect. Then within a minute, it goes back to being almost completely unable to establish tracking with the Base Stations until I hunker down in front of my desk. I'm currently using the Sync Cables (though honestly I don't think it's really doing much difference) and I've tried switching USB Ports for the Link Box from 2.0 to 3.0 and vice versa. Any idea what the issue could be? I talked a bit with a friend of mine and he's suggesting that the headset might potentially be faulty, and given the random "moments of clarity" I think that could be it. But I'm not 100% sure.

So, took down the Helmet and Buster and it actually did improve a bit. But now it's like I'm halfway there. Rather than a short tiny moment of being able to move around before being shoved into a gray dimension for hours on end, I was able to walk around for a bit for a bit longer than a minute. I tried playing Accounting. I was able to move around the office with no problems for a bit. Then it started getting a bit sketchy. There were places where if I stood there I'd lose tracking or sometimes I just wasn't able to look in certain directions. And then on occasions, things would just work normally for a very short time. For the most part, I was able to make it to the end as opposed to the previous few times I tried where I was just get stuck in a grey purgatory with no clue what was going on.

That's a good sign, it means that it's environmental rather than hardware or software. If you can identify any other reflective surfaces in your room, try covering them and experimenting. Also, does it happen more when you face a specific base station?

Thanks,

-John C

Sorry for vanishing. Not gonna lie, wanted a break from this and Mario Odyssey happened. Anyway, it doesn't seem to matter which Base Station I look at. It sometimes feels like if I stare at the one above my computer it will reset to a normal state for a few seconds. Like, I'll be able to look to the left with no problems during this time, but once it goes back to crapping out, looking in that same direction will just keep me in the gray dimension. Not sure if the issue would be with the Headset or the Base Station.

Archived