Vive quits and gets black after minutes

Buktu1975

So, it's me again. :manfrustrated:

After solving the error 108 as in here:

http://community.viveport.com/t5/Technical-Support/Error-108-Headset-not-detected-desperately-seeking-for-help/m-p/12233#M3835

I finally got the Vive working again for one evening (1 hour playtime summed up) with a clean install of Windows 10. 

Today I reinstalled Windows 10 again (new SSD), installed the Vive and Steam software and successfully let the Vive be installed. I updated all firmwares including the base stations and did the room setup. Anxiuosly after weeks of VR-abstinence I managed to enter Google Earth VR for about 10 minutes. After that I tried Space Pirate Trainer and it quit after three minutes with a black screen/audio stopped (no connection error 108). Same in other games (1 minute max.).

What can be wrong now? *sigh*

PS: at least I can get the Vive working again with a complete unconnect/reconnect. But then again for 1-2 minutes maximum...

108 error indicates that SteamVR cannot detect the Headset. This probably means there's something wrong with the USB cable or connection. Is there a chance that it's "loose" or something is tugging roughly on the 3-in-1 cable during use?

The 108 error shouldn't just pop up out of nowhere, since it only comes up all connectivity is lost. Since it does work sometimes, it seems like the drivers are functioning. You did do a fresh reinstall, so that rules out a lot of possibilities. You did update all your display drivers, right?

Thanks,

-John C

Being a fresh re-install of Windows 10, make sure your power management options are set to performance since if the system goes into power saving while in VR, it could really mess with VR timings and mess up your experience, also make sure power management cannot turn off your USB ports to save power.

Regards: Jack

Using the Steam VR option "Developer - Disable power management" did not change the settings for my USB devices. But I disabled all PM settings for all my USB devices in device manager manually (maximum performance). That could be it. Had only one blackout the last hour but was able to play Space Pirate for 15 minutes without problems. After the blackout I had a Windows firewall warning on the desktop for the Nvidia funhouse ("Unreal Engine wants to connect to the internet" or similar). That might have caused the blackout/application to quit. Sometimes I get the message "Steam VR could not be updated because it is running" or similar. But nevertheless I am able to play.

Thanks. Will mark this as solved until the problem reoccurs (I do not hope).

Well as I continue playing the blackout continue:

Vive display and audio stops (black screen), after a few moments the vision comes back and sometimes the audio (still in the game that progresses). Loss of tracking? Hardware not potent enough?

Intel i7-4790K, 32 GB RAM

Asus Strix Geforce 970GTX

I have a i7 4790k also but with a 1080ti, but I use to use a 980 with no problems. About the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is if you are running a Asus motherboard, make sure you did NOT install "Asus Ai suite" software, this is badly behaved software that can interfere with the Vive. Also, try disabling windows firewall and any virus checkers and see if your Vive work normally with these disabled. If it's the Virus checker, you may have to go to a different brand of virus checker.
Regards: Jack

No don't have the Asus Suite installed. Do not have any AV software except Windows Defender.

Just tried again, Vive gets black after seconds. I am only in SteamVR where you can see your white play area. I see the lighthouses and the controllers. I do not move and the Vive gets black after seconds. It will reload (works again) and again black after seconds.

The system report says:

Sending InputFocusCaptured old=0 new=9340

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.242 - lighthouse: Lighthouse IMU HID device error

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.242 - lighthouse: LHR-FD7F5D42: Disconnected from receiver 18E78D571C

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.242 - lighthouse: Lighthouse IMU HID device error

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.242 - lighthouse: LHR-FD7F5D42 C: Dropped 3 rejected updates, 28 back-facing hits during the previous tracking session

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.242 - lighthouse: LHR-FDC71D42: Disconnected from receiver A93493AF20

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.242 - lighthouse: LHR-FDC71D42 C: Dropped 80 back-facing hits during the previous tracking session

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.244 - lighthouse: Lighthouse IMU HID device error

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.244 - lighthouse: Lighthouse Optical HID device error

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.244 - lighthouse: LHR-C3F460B8 H: Dropped 59 back-facing hits during the previous tracking session

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.244 - lighthouse: Stopped tracking with universe 1510573642

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.245 - App openvr.component.vrcompositor loaded binding file D:\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\config\vrcompositor_bindings_vive.json

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.253 - Releasing input focus for vrcompositor (9340) because of message. new focus is 0.

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.253 - Sending VREvent_InputFocusReleased old=9340 new=0

Sun Nov 26 2017 16:12:53.262 - lighthouse: Lighthouse HMD HID device error

What's wrong? I have the curtains closed, lights on or off, do not move, cables tight.

I do not have the Asus Suite installed nor an AV software.

Tried again: blackouts after seconds just in Steam VR (where you can see your play area). Black screen => vision again for seconds => black screen.

Did a reboot. Now I can't get the headset working anymore. It was on the floor:

red light

turning green (one second)

constand red

turning green (two seconds)

constand red

after that only red blinking (error 108)

won't work anymore.

It is so weird. Headset broken?

I uninstalled all USB drivers.  Upon connecting the linkbox, I can see live in USBDeview, that the "Generic USB hub" gets connected/unconnected endlessly. 

Another try: regardless of the USB port, the four USB drivers for the linkbox will be installed. I ONLY connect the linkbox and can see in USBDeview the following:

Everything green. I do nothing but wait. After some seconds or a minute everything disconnects and reconnects, next picture:

I think this is the maximum time I can play - the time before the USB loses connection. But why? At first it is installed. I do not move the linkbox, all cables are firmly tight in place. I replaced the USB cable...

PS: I directly connected the Vive to the PC. I managed to play for approx. 5 minutes. I thought this was the solution, but the Vive quits again and works no more. I can't manage to connect it again, whether with or without the linkbox. Error 108 and flashing red light. I am not willing to install Windows 10 again...

I am sorry but I am really angry. It is  obviously my fault to be an early adopter. I tend to sell the Vive as broken on ebay and end my adventure with VR.

Archived