Cable length long enough?

Grillymore

Alright so, the picture below is my bedroom. Before I get an HTC Vive I wanted to make sure I have the room. I am planning on putting my computer on my desk where my tv is towards the left behind that water bottle, and I would stand on the right side of my bed. I was wondering if the HTC Vives cables are long enough for me to play while standing on the right side. 

Thank you for the help.

The 3-in-1 cable is 16.4 inches long. Keep in mind, that will be connected to the breakout box which will get you out to the front of your PC, so you should be able to get a little bit more length than that.

HOWEVER, standing on a bed (or any unstable surface) is not recommended for playing Vive. 

Thanks!

-John C

You can extend it a bit by using something like a 3 to 6 foot HDMI cable (good quality) and USB extension between the computer and break out box. The actual Vive cable between the breakout box and the headset is 15 feet I believe. So you can always use a peice of string or something like a electrical extension cord, measure the 15 foot and tie it to where you will have the break out box and see how well it will reach where you want to play. :)

I have a distance of 6 feet between my computer and break out box and it works well.

Regards: Jack

wrote:

The 3-in-1 cable is 
16.4 inches long. Keep in mind, that will be connected to the breakout box which will get you out to the front of your PC, so you should be able to get a little bit more length than that.

HOWEVER, standing on a bed (or any unstable surface) is not recommended for playing Vive. 

Thanks!

-John C

By the right side of my bed, I meant on the carpet. Sorry for not clarifying before, thank you for the help btw.

Ah! Okay, that's definitely better. I'd still be care, you'll want to make sure you have the space you need for roomscale. You'll want 6.5ft x 5ft of space. Or, alternatively, if you're happy with standing and seated experiences only, you won't need a minimum space.

Thanks!

-John C

wrote:

Ah! Okay, that's definitely better. I'd still be care, you'll want to make sure you have the space you need for roomscale. You'll want 
6.5ft x 5ft of space. Or, alternatively, if you're happy with standing and seated experiences only, you won't need a minimum space.

Thanks!

-John C

Hi, would this be enough room?

Looking at that picture, I would stand closer to the bed since when standing and waving your arms around, your arm will be going over the bed, but the wall won't be so forgiving. lol.

Trust me when I say it's so easy to move around a little even if you want to stay still when in VR, between turning to see what's behind you to swinging your arms around, it's so easy to smack a wall even though you were well clear of it when you put the headset on!

Regards: Jack

That is definitely enough space for seated/standing VR experiences but will be too small for some experience tailored to roomscale such as Job Simulator. You can use accessibility mods like WalkinVR as a hack in some situations but your results will vary. Many of the most popular VR apps such as Elite Dangerous will be 100% fine in this smaller area. It all depends on what you're aiming to play and you can always set up in a larger space such as a living room on occasion to play experiences that don't fit your given area. 

Archived