HTC Vive Setup Causes Computer to Freeze @ SteamVR Launch

PhoenixKatera

After removing a HDMI to Display port adapter and plugging the cable in and selecting option to restart my Vive, it appears to be working now.  I still get this under settings though, not sure what a compositor even is but maybe it seems related to the issue I was having a moment ago?

79584592d0f758e9fed831fc938c78e5.png

Opting into SteamVR beta seems to have fixed the frame issues..

d616b33c3077158e14e0b39914294771.png

Not sure what the red Application text means!

Lastly I get this pop up stating I should Enable Direct Mode, but when I click the button, it still seems stuck in Extended mode and I get the same pop up.

3ba60ef8be59fd3aa1790566e9cb6c71.png

I'd love to troubleshoot more but it's time to go to work, any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ,

Please follow these instructions and let us know how it goes :D

1. Check if you have BOTH of your HDMI connected to your 1080 Display card(HMD and monitor).  

2. Check if your display card driver is up to date

3. Go to SteamVR settings > Developer > Remove all SteamVR USB Devices 

4. Unplug all VIVE wires > Reboot> Temporary disable your Anti-virus software > Plug all VIVE wires back on(the system will automaticallly re-install all the drivers) 

Cory.C

Ok, after doing some research I found certain -too old- drivers don't support Direct Mode, I cannot update to current drivers or else the system will just return to crashing on SteamVR launch like the start of this thread describes, however, I did look for a newer driver which seems to work just fine in Direct Mode which has resolved the remaining problems I had.

For any of those with a similar issue as me, 375.95-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql works just fine on my rig.

I have similar problem.

My Rigs:

- AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor
- Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
- G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
- Western Digital - Black 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
- Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card

After playing a VR game, sometimes after few minutes and sometimes an hour, my HMD and whole PC freezes, and I am forced to restart my PC. This issue is happening often lately.

I contacted Vive Support through Chat, they connected to my PC and did several things, didn't help.

My USB cable was connected to USB 2.0 , then did "Remove all USB devices" from SteamVR, then connected the cable through USB 3.0.. The HMD is connected to my GPU directly through HDMI, I updated everything to last drivers, the MoBo Bios and all devices in my PC.

Any idea what else I can do to solve the problem?

• 1 month later...

I was having the very same issue with my 1080 and figuered out the exact circumstances of the bug and a workaround. :)

As soon as you ever open the Steam App itself then launching Steam VR or any VR game (be it from desktop or Steam interface) will cause the Nvidia driver to stop working, reset and kill your helmet. The workaround which worked for me is to put shortcuts to your VR games to desktop, quit steam, and then run any of the games (the steam will start too, but as long as you don't go into its UI it will work).

Archived