Vive controllers just sequentially failed - driver issues?

sawalrus

Was just in the middle of playing Fallout 4 when the position of one of my controllers suddenly froze in-game. buttons still worked but tracking did not. I tried resetting the controller, reinstalling usb drivers, switching steamvr to beta and back again, disabling usb power management, rebooting vive and pc, nothing. the controller would be recognised as active but would indicate it wasn't being tracked. again, buttons worked fine. 

I have another controller laying around, so I pair it up and give it a try. it works fine for a few minutes before failing in the exact same way. I've tried all the same steps and both controllers are behaving the same way. The first controller seems to still be working fine through all of this.

Very frustrating as it's clearly not a hardware issue, the drivers appear to have just gone totally haywire.

Any advice would be more than appreciated. Thanks! 

Since you're suspecting it could be the drivers, have you tried removing the drivers and reinstalling them? If not, what other troubleshooting methods have you attempted, if any?

Try this:

1. Unplug all cables from your PC. This includes any cables from the Link Box and any cables from controllers that are charging.
  2. Launch Steam from your Start menu, desktop, or taskbar.
  3. Click the VR button to start SteamVR.

Launch Steam. Click the VR button.

4. Click the dropdown arrow next to SteamVR.
  5. Click Settings.

Click the dropdown arrow. Click Settings.

6. Click Developer.
  7. Click Remove all SteamVR USB Devices. You might have to scroll down a bit to find it.

Click Developer. Click Remove all SteamVR USB Devices.

8. Click Yes.
  9. Click Continue.
  10. Restart your PC.

Click Yes. Click Continue.

Once your PC has booted back up, ensure that Steam isn't running. Plug the Link Box and your Vive's cables back into the PC, but use a different USB port for your HMD.

Once everything is plugged in, go ahead and launch Steam and SteamVR. Drivers will now be reinstalled.

Thanks,

-John C

Hi John, thanks for the reply. I tried resetting the controller, reinstalling usb drivers, switching steamvr to beta and back again, disabling usb power management, rebooting vive and pc. I had not tried changing the usb port, but I just did so again with no effect. 

alright, tried your suggestion and still no luck. weird thing is i tried another controller and that one seems to work fine, though its trackpad is busted so not ideal for use. is it possible that i really had two controllers fail in the same way within 5 mins of one another?

That's very strange. It would seem more like a driver issue to me, but you've got a third controller that works? I don't suppose you have another computer you could test them on? I'd be hesitant to send them back for repair unless they're brand new.

Thanks,

-John C

You've got it. And yes, the third controller works fine- have about 3 or 4 hours using it now. But the trackpad is busted on it so not really a suitable replacement. I can probably try using my gf's laptop, it won't meet minimum specs but at least I can see what happens in steamvr.

I'll give that a shot tonight or over the weekend and report back. Thanks!

Archived