Can't get Vive working after SteamVR Beta install even after rolling back

DaVinster

I moved my Vive system to a new PC and build and everything was working great.  I then decided to try the Beta branch for SteamVR.  First thing it asked was to update firmware on my controllers and lighthouses.  Only one controller updated and one lighthouse.  Then nothing was tracking and my headset constantly goes to sleep making it frustrating to try to pair the controllers.  Rolling back to non-beta steam VR now results in it seeing four controllers when trying to connect.  Nothing tracks and nothing works.  Keeps cycling between the controllerr, i.e. can see them monentarily and then they switch off.. then the lighthouses go green, but no controllers.

After rolling back to regular SteamVR, I uninstalled all USB drivers from the Dev section in SteamVR. No change.  Uninstalled steamvr and all the vive software three times.  Tried various things, re-pairing controllers.. everything is knackered.

I'm worried that the firmware steamvr beta had me install has screwed my system up as everything worked great before.  Any suggestions?  As it's a fresh build re-installing womdows again from scratch might be my next step.. pita with all the updates etc.. I'd rather just get the vive software and drivers completely removed, and that assuming there isn't a firmware mismatch in half my equipment.  very frustrating.. I've never had this issue with my vive accross several systems. :(

Early version? Are you talking about a Vive Pre or even earlier than that, such as a Devkit or prototype?
Usually I'd suggest USBDeview: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?s=6643267c2b51f08c93e8fc35bf35aa48&ref=2748-WEIK-9562

It'll let you get rid of any unnecessary USB drivers and you can try the installation again.

Thanks!

-John C

Thank you Synthesis for your prompt response!  To clarify, I have a Vive from the first pre-order batch. I noticed that some people pointed out that that have the original light houses with the red leds.  I'm not familiar with the newer lighthouses.

Ideally, there would be a tool that would allow me to uninstall all the Vive software and components, registry entries, etc.. however my research leads me to believe there is no way to get everythng back to a 'pre-installed' position without a complete bare-metal re-build?

I will follow your advise and look into this solution. I wil also report back.  As I mentioned earlier, for some reason SteamVR Beta asked to me to update firmware but only did one controller and one lighthouse.  I'm hoping there may be a way for me to manually flash the firmware for the controllers but unsure how one would 'rollback' or manually flash the lighthouses?

I digress.. Hopefully it's just a software issue however if my firmware is mis-matched it might be really complicating trying to resolve this.

Many thanks again for your input.

Well finally some progress..  I uninstalled the USB drivers via SteamVR as well as using the USB removal tool you suggested. Removed all vendor usb entries, ensuring 'show disconnected devices' was checked.  Followed instructions implicidly, no luck.  Uninstall..reboot, reinstall, re-plug.   rinse and repeat.

Finally I decided to try SteamVR again.  This time it wasn't detecting 4 controllers but two however none of them would track.  SteamVR is again asking to perform a firmware update on only one controller.  I connected my controller to PC via USB cable.  Pefformed firmware update.  Says completed.  power controller off/on, restart SteamVR.. keeps requesting FW update to same controller over and over in a loop.

Any suggestions?  I would even suffer through a bare metal build again but I don't think that's the real issue. Firmware on one controller and one lighthouse 'appeared' to get updated.  Note that my lighthouses are tracking my headset but when I get into Steam VR Home I have no controllers.  Controllers are my main issue now.

As my Vive was working prior to trying SteamVR beta and the subsequent half firmware updates SVR Beta did I now think I'm screwed.  Too many hours trying to get this working instead of enjoying my Vive with what precious little leisure time I get.

Are you still on SteamVR beta or did you go back to the public branch? Also, you said the controllers won't track or won't pair? Or both?

If they won't track, can you explain a little more about that? Do they not show up in the virtual environment? Do they just not move correctly? What happens?

Thank you,

-John C

Hi Synthesis,  After trying all the suggestions using only the stable branch I still got 4 controllers showing up.  The message for all 4 was "connected but not tracking'.  If I hit 'identify controller' for all 4,  2 of them would vibrate at the same time, i.e. it was almost like it was seeing each controller as a 'pair'.  I tried pairing.. all 4 showing.. sometimes it would pair, sometimes not but either way they would not track.

As an aside, there was an issue reported that puts the headset into sleep mode every 5 seconds. You can resolve this by changing a setting within the HMD using the overlay.  Issue for me is even if the headset goes on and I'm in the environement I can't change anything as I have no useable controllers.  I have to swing the headset around trying to keep it awake else I got "The headset must be connected to pair controllers.."  every 5 seconds. This is really adding to the frustration when troubleshooting. You would get a good laff out of me trying to swing the headset around and pressing the two buttons for pair mode and then swinging the controllers around too tho :\

Ok so after doing everything suggested (and then some) I decided what the heck.. I'll try SVR Beta again.  It only 'sees' two controllers now. This time it asked for firmware updates on one controller.  I thought 'great.. at least they will be on the same firmware version.  Nope.. the firmware update seems to go thorugh and it restarts SVR Beta but in a few secs says the controller's firmware needs to be updated again.  Tried this at least 6 times in a row thinking there was multiple updates queued. Nope.

Ok so now in Steam VR Beta, My headset tracks (if kept awake) my lighthouses turn green and say tracking but my controllers turn green and flash.  Holding the mouse over it says "controller connected but not tracking'.  I tried pairing both one at a time and while it says "controller paired' they still won't track.

So Everything is working for me now except my controllers.  I can even put my headset on and be in SteamVR Home but of course I have no controllers to manipulate anything.  Headset stays green and says tracking and both lighthouses stay green.  (oh BTW I switched to the sync cable as it constantly complains that my lighthouses are 5.8 meters apart and should only be 5.5 meters apart).  It didn't complain about my lighthouses at all on my previous PC or this PC before installing SteamVR beta.  Even using the sync cable it still complains that my lighthouses are 5.8 meters apart.  yup changed my channels to A and b on my lighthouse when using the sync cable.

I hope that answered all your questions.  I do appreciate your responses and effort to assist.

Cheers,

DaVinster

Hi Synthesis,  I thought I had replied to this but it didn't get posted? Re-submitting..

After trying all the suggestions using only the stable branch I still got 4 controllers showing up.  The message for all 4 was "connected but not tracking'.  If I hit 'identify controller' for all 4,  2 of them would vibrate at the same time, i.e. it was almost like it was seeing each controller as a 'pair'.  I tried pairing.. all 4 showing.. sometimes it would pair, sometimes not but either way they would not track.

As an aside, there was an issue reported that puts the headset into sleep mode every 5 seconds. You can resolve this by changing a setting within the HMD using the overlay.  Issue for me is even if the headset goes on and I'm in the environement I can't change anything as I have no useable controllers.  I have to swing the headset around trying to keep it awake else I got "The headset must be connected to pair controllers.."  every 5 seconds. This is really adding to the frustration when troubleshooting. You would get a good laff out of me trying to swing the headset around and pressing the two buttons for pair mode and then swinging the controllers around too tho :\

Ok so after doing everything suggested (and then some) I decided what the heck.. I'll try SVR Beta again.  It only 'sees' two controllers now. This time it asked for firmware updates on one controller.  I thought 'great.. at least they will be on the same firmware version.  Nope.. the firmware update seems to go thorugh and it restarts SVR Beta but in a few secs says the controller's firmware needs to be updated again.  Tried this at least 6 times in a row thinking there was multiple updates queued. Nope.

Ok so now in Steam VR Beta, My headset tracks (if kept awake) my lighthouses turn green and say tracking but my controllers turn green and flash.  Holding the mouse over it says "controller connected but not tracking'.  I tried pairing both one at a time and while it says "controller paired' they still won't track.

So Everything is working for me now except my controllers.  I can even put my headset on and be in SteamVR Home but of course I have no controllers to manipulate anything.  Headset stays green and says tracking and both lighthouses stay green.  (oh BTW I switched to the sync cable as it constantly complains that my lighthouses are 5.8 meters apart and should only be 5.5 meters apart).  It didn't complain about my lighthouses at all on my previous PC or this PC before installing SteamVR beta.  Even using the sync cable it still complains that my lighthouses are 5.8 meters apart.  yup changed my channels to A and b on my lighthouse when using the sync cable.

I hope that answered all your questions.  I do appreciate your responses and effort to assist.

Cheers,

DaVinster

UPDATE:  I moved my Vive system back to the original PC.  After starting up SteamVR (regular as I never tried SVR Beta on this PC) everything was fine with the exception that I had to re-pair one controller.  After doing so everything was 100% and working as it had before.  Headset, both controllers and lighthouses (optical sync) are all green and I can enter VR with my controllers functioning.  The lighthouses are hard mounted and didin't move or change.. I just connected the Vive to another PC in the same general area.  My 'old' PC works great.. new build however.. no matter what I do I cannot get SteamVR to recognise the controllers properly.

This tells me a couple of things..

- My firmware is 'OK'. Thank goodness!

- There are now no complaints about my lighthouses being 0.3 meters too far apart.  It always did on my new build wherether I was running SVR Stable or SVR Beta.  This after uninstalling and rolling back to SVR Stable back and forth several times. Something was introduced that I can't get rid of.

- Since this was working on my new PC (before installing SteamVR Beta for the first time) the only thing that makes sence is that installing SteamVR introduced a 'ghost in the machine' that uninstalling software and manually removing drivers will not fix.  And there's no going back.

I'm not wasting any more time on this as it will be quicker to just bare metal build it again.  There really should be a utility that will completely rollback the HTC/Vive stuff.  Obviously despite uninstalling software, manually deleting folders, etc. there must be some registry entries or something hanging on causing havoc.

With the hours and frustration this has caused me it will be a lonnng time before I try a Beta again!

I wanted to report back to support the community in case someone else runs into this same issue.

Cheers!

Archived