Grip buttons not working after forced Vive desktop update.

x32

First of all, I have the desktop app set to NOT auto-update. For some reason that check box seems to be completely useless. as it update whenever it wants to. A couple of nights ago, I had gone through the ENTIRE list of viveport games, made my choices, and was about to hit the verify button when the auto update box popped up and wouldn't let me do anything else until it finished updating. I had to go through and find all the titles again. When it's set to NOT AUTO UPDATE it should NEVER AUTO UPDATE. Now for the big problem. Since that forced update the grip buttons on the controllers don't work. I now have several unplayable games due to not have use of those buttons. How do I roll back to a version of the desktop app that actually works?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steam VR Home Beta, Yes. Is this what you mean? Viveport Desktop version 1.1.8(r5) I am today finding it is not just and not always the grip buttons. They are working in some games, such as home and FOVOS but not in other games such as Ocean Rift and Pierhead Arcade. Additionally other buttons won't work in certain games such as the menu button in Dinosaur Park. The last update seems to have broken different controls on different games.

It's SteamVR beta that has had input (and tracking) issues. Please update to today's update or roll back to non-beta or the separate input related branch.

There's been frequent SteamVR beta updates lately which you most likely have on auto update which mostly goes unnoticed.

Dario

The steam desktop app is set to "no beta downloads". I turned off "Steamvr Home Beta" but it has made no difference with the controller buttons. How do I update or roll back anything with Steam? I can't seem to find any links.

It should revert back to the public branch as soon as you opt-out of the beta. You can also go to the Library -> Tools - section of Steam and uninstall/resinstall SteamVR there. Steam will not allow you to access previous builds of SteamVR. You can also verify SteamVR's contents there from the properties page. 

-edit: forgot to mention. Valve does not let you downgrade your version of SteamVR to versions older than the public version. 

Try this:

Reset the controller

If the controller is not behaving as expected, it’s having pairing issues or it’s having tracking issues, resetting it will update the status of the controller and will allow it to be set up again.

1. Power off the controller.
  2. While holding [Grip] + [Touchpad] + [Menu buttons], plug the controller to the PC via USB.
  3. Continue holding until the PC recognizes the controller as a USB drive (a sound will be made on the computer).
  4. Release the buttons and then unplug the controller.

Thanks,

-John C

Per your instructions I tried this again but still no change. This time though the PC did recognize the controllers as a drive. Since my last post I have: 1. Uninstalled Steam VR and installed Steam VR Beta. 2. Uninstalled and reinstalled Steam VR USB Devices. 3. Made sure Windows was up to date. 4. Made sure video card drivers are up to date. 5. Re downloaded Steam desktop and installed over the old version. 6. Uninstalled and reinstalled Dinosaur Park, one of the games affected by the problem. 7. Reset the controllers again. I still have no response from grip and menu buttons in certain games, but not all games.

Archived